The difference between DNIS and ANI?

wyss34wyss34 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Correct me if I am wrong please.

I am typing this out because I believe I have an understanding on the uses of these acronyms, but I want to be sure because they seem to kind of overlap in my brain for some reason.

First DNIS - stands for Dialed Number Information Service. This is the number that is being physically dialed and is typically matched by the outgoing dial-peer using the dial-peer configuration mode command destination-pattern.

ANI - stands for Automatic Number Identification. It is basically CallerID the number that the call is coming from. This is typically matched on the inbound dial-peer?

Do I have these straight in my head as far as you guys can tell?

Is it possible to match the ANI with the destination-pattern (I believe so) or do you have to use incoming called-number ?

Comments

• LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

Read this ... If you have any questions after I will be more then happy to help you. You seem to be on the right track just need a little point in the right direction.

Google Books is your friend as well.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • wyss34wyss34 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read a few more Cisco docs and re read the dial plan chapter of my Cisco book and I have figured it out. I realize that the ANI information can be used in destination-pattern and answer-address for incoming call leg's and DNIS can be matched in incoming called-number for incoming call legs. For outbound call legs they match DNIS under destination-pattern.

Thanks for the help and wish me luck on my CVOICE exam Friday :)
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    there you go... Good Luck on your exam.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck on Friday!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • wyss34wyss34 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    D-DAY is tomorrow!

Any last minute advice?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wyss34 wrote:
    Any last minute advice?
    All I've got is the usual -- time management. Keep an eye on the clock. If you have problem with a SIM, consider moving on once you hit 10 minutes mark (unless you have just one more thing to try). Remember that it could be an ungraded questions.... and try something and hope for partial credit, just in case it is a graded question.

If you have the time, take one last look at the exam blueprint and make sure you have covered all the topics with your studies. Write down anything you think you'll have trouble remembering during the exam and review it before you go in to take the exam -- then **** it onto your note sheet once you've been logged into your test PC.

And TRY to Relax! We all know it's hard to do (and I'm laughing as I type this icon_lol.gif ), but we have to say it!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!