A little bittersweet Update: Now just (:S)weet

Took a shot at the 298 and 299 today. Short story is, I did earn my MCSE by passing the 298 but missed out on the 299.

I stressed (like most people) more than I needed to on this one. The test was quite straight forward after you get the hang of a case project. My first one was kind of hectic as I was reading through the instructions and didn't realize the clock had already started. The test had a small amount of time to finish and I spend about 2 minutes reading the directions. I finished that one with just under a minute left. The others, while stressful because of the time, were all finished with at least a couple minutes. I scored an 838. I read the Syngress book and used the MS Press book a tiny bit. I also used CBT Nuggets and Transcender.

I felt really good on about 80% of the questions. Most were not all that long or involved and I often had the question answered in my head about 1/2 way through. There were a few questions however that really threw me. It wasn't that I didn't know the material, but I just did not know what exactly what they wanted for an answer. There were at least 2 questions with 2 correct answers and vague wording on which one they wanted. I also had quite a few multiple choice multiple answers that I felt I could have missed a part of. I guess it does not take much on a 30 question test to sink you. I scored a 658. The good thing is with such a short test it is easy to remember what specific questions you had problems with. I am going to review those areas and head back in relatively soon. I used the MS Press with CBT Nuggets and Transcender as well on this one.
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea.. the small amount of questions in 299 can be a blessing and a curse. If you get a few unlucky ones, it can really mess you up. Did you use the second shot?

Regardless, congratulations on your "E"!

I'm sure you'll tack that S on soon enough.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I didn't because it causes problems with AP and my expensing of materials. The employer will pay for 2 fails if I follow up with a pass.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Well i guess i have to give you a big 'Congrats' and a 'bummer man you'll get it next time'.

The Minnesota crew rules! icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well I'm not from Minnesota so I appear to be the outsider in this thread... but congrats on the pass and "the E" as dynamik said. I'm sure you'll get that :S tacked on shortly. icon_thumright.gif
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Well I'm not from Minnesota so I appear to be the outsider in this thread... but congrats on the pass and "the E" as dynamik said. I'm sure you'll get that :S tacked on shortly. icon_thumright.gif

how about the phoenix crew chime in? :D

its rare to say "bummer" and "congrats" in same thread.

BUMMER, and CONGRATS!!!

at least you have the E. Shoulndt take you too long to get the :S according to your post. Best of luck!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Phoenix crew reporting for duty!

Bummer! Congrats!

Look forward to that 1000 from your next attempt. ;)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Look forward to that 1000 from your next attempt. ;)

I'll get right on that. Thanks for the kudos everybody!
    Few points shy of a grand, but I was able to score an 871 today to get that sweet little :S.

Most of my review was on PKI and SUS. I scored really well on SUS in the past and I thought it would carry over to my first attempt on the 299, that wasn't the case. The 299 really goes into some unique scenarios and setups with SUS so I just had to wander through the settings of those and that helped alot. It did help that I got 2 of the questions I was confused about and got wrong the first time around and was able to get them right this time.

Now I can crack that L+ book and begin on that, but I will let this one soak in a bit drunken_smilie.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Rock on icon_thumright.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! What did you think of the Academy College location? You really should have figured in an extra 45 minutes or so, so we could have hit up that steak house! Oh well, next time ;)
    dynamik wrote:
    Congratulations! What did you think of the Academy College location? You really should have figured in an extra 45 minutes or so, so we could have hit up that steak house! Oh well, next time ;)

For sure. AC wasn't bad, kinda far but not too far to go if it includes lunch. I am working the 2-10 on Wednesday as we just lost a guy so I didn't have much time. We should definitely hook up again soon.