Options

Voice Troubles (3825 and NM-2CE1T1-PRI)

Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance rendered.

I've got a 3825 running 12.4(9T) with advanced IP services and security.

Modules/vwics installed are:

1 x NM-2CE1T1-PRI (controller T1 1/0 and 1/1)
1 x 2 port FXS vwic (voice-port 0/1/0 and 0/1/1)
1 x 4 port FastEthernet Switch vwic (fastethernet 0/0/0 - 0/0/3)
1 x 1 port Fiber based FastEthernet interface (fastethernet 2/0)

The router also has one PVDM2 (not sure of the particular size) occupying 1 of the 4 available PVDM slots.

After working on this all week, I haven't gotten far by hopefully have learned a lot.

After setting my ISDN Switch type, framing, and line coding on the T1 controller (controller t1 1/0), I set a pri-group using all 24 channels (1-24).

At that point (from past experience) I expect to be able to go to config mode for voice-port 1/0:23 and do a "no shut". Well this doesn't work and the voice-port doesn't show up after configuring the pri-group.

Voice-port 0/1/0 and 0/1/1 work just fine.

Questions:

1. Do the FXS ports use the PVDM2 that is installed or do they support themselves?

2. Is the reason that the voice-ports ( for the T1) don't show up, because I don't have enough (or large enough) PVDM2s installed?, or does the NM-2CE1T1-PRI just not support voice?

3. Or am I just doing something wrong or forgetting to do something?

This is connecting to a Redcom IGX set as switchtype DMS100.

If I install an HD type T1 Module with the PVDMs self-contained ( on the module, not using the router PVDMs) the configuration works fine.

I know of several others with the same setup that are encountering the same problem and they're not getting anywhere either. So it's not just me :D .

Thanks,
George
WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
Start Date: 01 October 2012
QFT1,PFIT in progress.
TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:

Comments

• Options
    georgemcgeorgemc Member Posts: 429
    *Anyone?*
    WGU BS: Business - Information Technology Management
    Start Date: 01 October 2012
    QFT1,PFIT in progress.
    TRANSFERRED/COMPLETED: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,QBT1,LUT1,QLC1,QMC1,QLT1,IWC1,INC1,INT1,BVC1,CLC1,MGC1, CWV1 BNC1, LIT1,LWC1,QAT1,WFV1,EST1,EGC1,EGT1,IWT1,MKC1,MKT1,RWT1,FNT1,FNC1, BDC1,TPV1 REQUIRED:
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The VIC-FXS does require DSP resources. Search for “DSP calculator” on the Cisco website, from there you can select the router, IOS, and installed modules and it will tell you how many PVDM/DSPs that you need.

While not familiar with the NM-2CE1T1-PRI, I know that with VWIC-xMFTs the IOS will tell you that you don’t have enough DSP resources and will create the PRI group accordingly.

Try this for the NM-2CE1T1-PRI stup:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/interface/configuration/guide/ir_halfport_pri_net_mod.html#wp1027177
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Start from the beginning... ( Show diag) make sure that all hardware is recognized and installed correctly... Then make sure you have enough dsp resources for what you are trying to accomplish. Then make sure your controller is in the up state... And go from there... If you want to send me a cleaned up config / diag report I will be more then happy to look it over for you.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Or post the config here so we can all see it... ;) I wouldnt mind taking a glance to see what it could be.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have never seen that network module used for voice, only data connections. I am not sure if it is supported or not.
    The only easy day was yesterday!