why I cant ping my server 2003

toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I can't get any connectivity to my server. I am trying to ping from my Local switch to my DNS server but I can't get any connectivity.

The situation is, I have changed my network. I am trying to estublish a local DNS server. I have made my DNS server IP address as default gateway for my switch. but when I am trying to ping my server from my switch nothing happening. currently I am using only management vlan for my XP mechine and server connected to the switch.

My xp mechine ip 192.168.1.20/24

my Switch vlan 1 address 192.168.1.9/24 and default gateway 192.168.1.201 (is my DNS server address)

I can telnet from my xp machine to my switch its working fine, but no connectivity from my switch to DNS server.

Comments

• TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Can you ping from the server to the switch or the xp machine?
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Did you check to see if the firewall was turned on?
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Technowiz wrote:
    Can you ping from the server to the switch or the xp machine?

no I cant connect either way. But my interface and protocol is up. I dont know whats happening. If my interface was down, then I could say it was cable issue. But when I am checking my interface its shows iterface is up, line protocol is up... its really strange... I know I am doing somthing wrong but cant find out.....
    IT Man wrote:
    Did you check to see if the firewall was turned on?

No my firewall is off....
    Try plugging the server into the port you currently have the xp machine plugged into. That should help you isolate whether the problem is at the switch or the server.
    Technowiz wrote:
    Try plugging the server into the port you currently have the xp machine plugged into. That should help you isolate whether the problem is at the switch or the server.

ya I tried, but still the same situation.... I can connect my XP mechine but not my server!!!!
    This is an interesting problem. Well do you have a default gateway set up on your server?
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
    Sounds like a problem with your server then. I would double check the IP configuration on the server, then try pinging the IP address of the server from the server. Then ping the switch. The default gateway settings shouldn't even come into play since you are using addresses on the same subnet.
    IT Man wrote:
    This is an interesting problem. Well do you have a default gateway set up on your server?

yes I have a default gateway in my server, but its should not affect my swtich and server connectivity.
    Well it shouldn't unless the gateway is pointing to a different network. You really don't need it if all your devices are on the same network. I was just wondering was the gateway pointing to the correct network.
    Even if the default gateway is wrong and pointing to a different network or even if it is not defined it doesn't matter when you are communicating to an address on the same subnet.
    ok I will re-install my server and start from the biggining again.... I will get back to you guys.. Thanks very much for your help... let see what happen.....
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might want to check your duplex and speed settings. It might be having a problem auto-negotiating those. You might want to set them to 10mbps, half-duplex just to test. Another thing you could try is to see if the two machines can communicate directly with a crossover cable.
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    what is the ip address of your switch and what is the ip address of your server?
    does the server connect you out to the internet? or do u have a router that connects you to bthe internet?
    ilcram19-2 wrote:
    what is the ip address of your switch and what is the ip address of your server?
    does the server connect you out to the internet? or do u have a router that connects you to bthe internet?

Thanks for your help... I think, I already provided all the necessary inforamtion!!!!!
    no luck so far.. I have changed my server.. I loaded my server 2003 into a different machine.. but still no luck... I dont know what to do now....
    I am feeling like a stupid.....
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you tried a different cable? I know you said the line protocol is up, but that doesn't mean there isn't a less-severe problem that is preventing communication. Have you tried switching things around like Technowiz suggested? How about the crossover I suggested? That might help you determine whether the problem is with the cable, the NIC, or the switch.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already tried everything, from firewall/cable/etc.

Try turning off "IPSEC Services" service and let us know if it worked, go to your computer management > services applications > services

Also test your TCP/IP stack ping the loopback address, make sure that your server and the client your using to ping your server is on the same subnet, your gateway is out of the a question if they are all plugged to the same switch and same subnet.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    topu wrote:
    Hi,

I can't get any connectivity to my server. I am trying to ping from my Local switch to my DNS server but I can't get any connectivity.

The situation is, I have changed my network. I am trying to estublish a local DNS server. I have made my DNS server IP address as default gateway for my switch. but when I am trying to ping my server from my switch nothing happening. currently I am using only management vlan for my XP mechine and server connected to the switch.

My xp mechine ip 192.168.1.20/24

my Switch vlan 1 address 192.168.1.9/24 and default gateway 192.168.1.201 (is my DNS server address)

I can telnet from my xp machine to my switch its working fine, but no connectivity from my switch to DNS server.

I don't understand what you mean by "I made my DNS server IP address as default gateway" you mean your running your DNS server on the same server that is acting as your Router/Gateway which is running RRAS?

On your DNS server have you run nslookup? and see if it queries the DNS server? it should give you an error if it cannot contact your DNS server, I would also try and go back to the TCP/IP DNS Properties of your DNS server and instead of putting in the static IP address of your server under "Preferred DNS Server" I will put the loopback address instead of 127.0.0.1
  • lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    take this into consideration.

On my Windows XP pro edition, i could not have my PC connected to the internet and my home lab at the same time, because then my home lab couldnt ping my PC..

try that...make sure you server isnt connected to the internet at the same time your connected to your home lab
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
    jbaello wrote:
    If you already tried everything, from firewall/cable/etc.

Try turning off "IPSEC Services" service and let us know if it worked, go to your computer management > services applications > services

Also test your TCP/IP stack ping the loopback address, make sure that your server and the client your using to ping your server is on the same subnet, your gateway is out of the a question if they are all plugged to the same switch and same subnet.

Ya I have followed your instruction, I turned off IPSEC services, but no luck. Ya I can ping server 127.0.0.1 loopback address, but still I cant ping my local switch and client machine.....
    lildeezul wrote:
    take this into consideration.

On my Windows XP pro edition, i could not have my PC connected to the internet and my home lab at the same time, because then my home lab couldnt ping my PC..

try that...make sure you server isnt connected to the internet at the same time your connected to your home lab

no my server is not connected to the internet... My server and my XP machine only connected to my local switch. I can't ping my server from my local switch and my local machine although they are in same valn ......
    this is the output from my switch interface....

the connection is up, as you can see. also I am giving you the valn output for the clearity....

THIS IS MY VLAN OUTPUT FROM LOCAL SWITCH

show interface vlan 1
    VLAN1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is CPU Interface, address is 0004.4dd6.65c0 (bia 0004.4dd6.65c0)
    Internet address is 192.168.1.9/24
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
    Last input 00:00:07, output 00:01:31, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
    5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
    1756 packets input, 148923 bytes, 0 no buffer
    Received 1277 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
    0 input packets with dribble condition detected
    472 packets output, 33794 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets
    0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
    0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier
    0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

THIS IS MY SERVER INTERFACE.....
    Switch#show interface fa0/1
    FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0004.4dd6.65c1 (bia 0004.4dd6.65c1)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
    Keepalive not set
    Auto-duplex (Full), Auto Speed (100), 100BaseTX/FX
    Last input never, output 00:00:01, output hang never
    1195 packets input, 102910 bytes
    Received 1194 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 watchdog, 6 multicast
    5011 packets output, 412485 bytes, 0 underruns
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

THIS IS MY XP WORKSTATION INTERFACE......

show interface fa0/2
    FastEthernet0/2 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is Fast Ethernet, address is 0004.4dd6.65c2 (bia 0004.4dd6.65c2)
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,
    Keepalive not set
    Auto-duplex (Full), Auto Speed (100), 100BaseTX/FX
    Last input never, output 00:00:01, output hang never
    890 packets input, 87331 bytes
    Received 405 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
    0 watchdog, 14 multicast
    6205 packets output, 479017 bytes, 0 underruns
    ok guys I am back in business.... It was such a silly thing, I cant believe it... anyway it was great learning curv... I learnt a lot last two days and also it taught me a great lesson.... Thanks very much for all your help and support, I am greatfull to you guys....

take care.....
    thanks

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So what was the solution?