Best book for 291?

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am starting on 291 very soon, and am trying to choose a book. I have done well with the MS books so far.

However, the MS 291 is not getting good reviews on Amazon, people are saying the practive labs are not very good.

On closer inspection though, they are saying not to use this book to pass the 284 exam (duh, it's not the correct book for 284)

Has anyone here got a good reason for choosing a book other than the MS one? I didn't find the Sybex ones great when I was doing the MCDST, I dumped them and got the equivalent MS books.

Thanks for reading.
steve

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I thought that the MS Press book for the 291 was excellent, if a little dry in areas.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, MS book arrived from Amazon today!
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Yes the 291 ms press book is good, although especially true for the 291 you will need more than one book to study with. I just really wish sometimes that there was a bit more personality injected into these books. As much as I am finding the 291 interesting the addition of some wit and humour would really help these books!
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. Make sure you lab stuff up!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll second the labs and I would also agree that I liked the 291 book from MS.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • stevem5kstevem5k Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you want a little wit and some corny jokes, I recommend you try and pickup the CBT Nuggets course for 70-291. I really liked the 70-290 course and it had some really helpful info that "tied it altogether." I'm starting 291 this week too, good luck!
  • nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    I actually enjoyed the MS Press book. It seemed to be very well organized. It gives a broad definition, and then drills down to fairly minute detail.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I used the MS Press book, in conjuction with CBT Nuggets and TestOut, and I found these to be plenty for the exam, (along with some hands-on work, but that goes without saying).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.