Options

If getting CCNP does my CCNA really matter??

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
My CCNA expires in June of 2009, and I've read on here that if you pass your first CCNP test that you autmatically get another 3 years on your CCNA. Question is, though, let's say I don't take the first test before June 2009 and my CCNA expires and then a year later I get my CCNP, is there any real loss in losing my CCNA certification if I have my CCNP? Seems like the CCNA would be obsolete once you get the CCNP.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need a valid CCNA to be recognized as a CCNP: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html

You can also renew your CCNA with a voice, security, or wireless CCNA specialization, so if you don't think you'll be able to do a pro exam by then, you might want to look at one of those.
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, there would be a loss for you if your CCNA expired. You can go ahead and pass all the CCNP exams but unless you have a valid CCNA, you will not be issued a CCNP. So, it behooves you to try to get the first NP exam in before your NA expires or else you will need to retake it.

How is that for motivation? :)icon_wink.gif

Looks like dynamik beat me to the punch! :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.