Nerves!!!

kenniemankennieman Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
crash.gif

Taking my exam on Saturday Oct 2 Any words of advice? The 7 layers are killing I just cant keep them straight as to which layer does what, same with the ports

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    kennieman wrote:
    The 7 layers are killing I just cant keep them straight as to which layer does what, same with the ports
    In that case my advice is to reschedule the test for a later date, as those are two of the most important topics.

Also check out the well-known port quiz and be sure to read my TechNotes: www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml

Good luck whatever you'll decide to do!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I concur with Webmaster. OSI is networking, if you don't know that well, you should reschedule. Either way, good luck!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • MPNX2MPNX2 Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well maybe this will help you out....

All People Seem To Need Data Processing

Layer 1: Physical
    Layer 2: Data Link
    Layer 3: Network
    Layer 4: Transport
    Layer 5: Session
    Layer 6: Presentation
    Layer 7: Application

OSI: Open Systems Interconnection
    ISO: Designed the OSI model

Layer 1 Physical Devices
    Hubs, Repeaters, NIC’s,
    Defines bit synchronization
    Defines voltages

Layer 2 Data Link Devices
    Switches, Bridges
    Defines the physical address
    Contains two sublayers LLC, and MAC

Layer 3 Network Devices
    Routers, Layer 3 Switches
    Protocols
    IP, IPX, ICMP, RIP, OSPF, BGP

Layer 4 Transport Protocols
    TCP, UDP, NETBEUI, SPX
    TCP is connection oriented, UDP is connectionless

Layer 5 Session Protocols
    RPC, NETBIOS

Layer 6 Presentation Protocols
    GIF, JPEG, MPEG, MIME, ASCII
    Responsible for the compression, encryption, and conversion of data

Layer 7 Application Protocols
    TELNET, HTTP, FTP, TFTP, SMTP, NTP
    Layer 7 is the closest to the end user

The hardest ones for me to remember were the Layer 3 and Layer 4 protocols so I type up the above chart and just studied it. Hope it helps good luck.! You can find all of that info in the Technotes here on this site lie Webmaster mentioned.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm taking my Network+ in about 2 weeks and I have OSI and Ports down, but I was wondering.

How much of the test involves Network security? Like PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, Kerberos, etc? I haven't seen very many questions on these topics in my practice tests, so I am wondering if these are more of a topic in Security+ or other security exams.

The toughest thing for me is the Network support commands. Not using them everyday is giving me fits remembering what does what. It's really only netstat and nbtstat that are hard for me icon_rolleyes.gif
    Ping, Tracert, and Ipconfig are easy to me icon_lol.gif

Good luck on your exam either way.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok man..it sounds like you're NOT ready for the exam. You may want to reschedule. It's very important for you to know the OSI model and common ports. Take some more time to study....I suggest that you take another month for studying before you take the exam. icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • skaeightskaeight Member Posts: 130
    I agree. OSI is key to passing this exam. Don't look at it like you need to memorize it, look at like you want to understand why and how it works. It's much easier for me to take that approach.

I'm really not a big fan of using Mnemonic devices because typically you spend your time remembering the Mnemonic device and not what you're supposed to be learning.

My advice is just start with getting the layers down pat. Just sit there and write them out in order until you are 100% sure that you've got them down. It's much easier to learn the details once you know the framework.

Then start to take a look at each layer and understand it's function and why it's even there.

I would suggest Mike Meyer's All-In-One Net+ book. That's what I used (and I just passed with an 873 icon_cool.gif ) . He does a great job explaining everything. Then come back to this site and go over the technotes. Finally, take every practice exam you can get your hands on. Take the test when you're consistantly scoring in the high 80's - low 90's.

I would def reschedule the test until you are confident you not only know the OSI, but understand what makes each layer tick.