CCNP Classes vs. Self Study

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Hey guys (gals too icon_wink.gif)

I just found out about online classes for the CCNP exams from a state university. They have online pods which saves home lab money and they recommend taking 1 CCNP class per semester. The total time would then be 4 semesters or 2 years. The question I have is I found here at TechExams that some recommend 8 months to get the CCNP. Would this be worth it?

I think after paying for classes, the university program is more expensive and more time consuming, but I would not have to make a home lab. After writing this thread, I will probably go for self study, but just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks,
es

Comments

• kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    examseeker wrote:
    Hey guys (gals too icon_wink.gif)

I just found out about online classes for the CCNP exams from a state university. They have online pods which saves home lab money and they recommend taking 1 CCNP class per semester. The total time would then be 4 semesters or 2 years. The question I have is I found here at TechExams that some recommend 8 months to get the CCNP. Would this be worth it?

I think after paying for classes, the university program is more expensive and more time consuming, but I would not have to make a home lab. After writing this thread, I will probably go for self study, but just wanted your thoughts.

Thanks,
    es

I think it depends on the quality of the classes. I was in the Netacademy program for CCNA, and the classroom hours was not good for anything else except access to equipment. If you know its a good class, then by all means, especially since a good teacher will provide insight into topics you struggle with. However, everyone on this forum has helped me tremendously with issues I could not grasp myself, so this really is a valuable resource.

I would also say it depends alot on how disclipined you can be, especially if you have a strict timetable. I normally spend between 2 to 3 hours of study time each day of the week, between reading, note taking, labbing topologies op and generally do what I can to understand the topics. So even though sometimes you really rather want to crash on the couch, you push yourself to do just a little more. No matter what, i think everyone can testify that its hard work :)

But also bear in mind that with fairly new equipment, you can use for years ahead in whatever endavour you choose, and if not, you can still sell it and get a very nice price for it.

I got a skeletek rack, and some few routers to start with, then I purchased some switches and a router with enough serial ports to act as a frame relay. At least now in BCMSN its nice to have some switches to try it out on.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope it gave some more food for thought! Good luck!
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Given my experience with online classes, I'd suggest self-study. If we were talking a real classroom environment, I think the cost would be justified. Truthfully though, you have so much access to materials online (between blogs, techexams, cisco.com, misc tech sites + cisco press books)..it's there already for you to study.

That 8 month thing depends on you, really. Some people do it in 4 or 5 months somehow, others take a year. A benefit of self-study is that if you get stuck on a particular section, you can take a break, and come back to it at your leisure, or take the time to really study that topic in depth.

And yes, the BSCI can be had with Dynamips, and cisco press books.

2 yrs for CCNP through that program sounds pretty spread out. If you study on your own, I wouldn't be shocked to see you have it in 6-8 months, and begin working on other certs.
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the insight guys.. sounds like self-study would be best..

icon_lol.gif
  • raaki_88raaki_88 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    why do wanna rush at things mate ... there would be one question in my mind and always ringing as iam for ccnp and that is "when will i get a ccie # " . if you have no plans for getting a ccie you can join any of the shortterms programs and get your way certified .... but do u wanna end up a ccnp... take you time and expand like devil with gns3 and its configs i can tell you you can comfortably run a 7 routers with 1-2 gb of ram .. any help feel free to post ..

my way would be

cbt nuggets

train signal

cisco student guide

cisco exam guide

ip expert video for some of the best revision modules ...

this should really take decent time and you should be deadliest with knowledge .. and do you think the state university thing would be better than cbt nuggests of ip expert scott morris ?

give it thought why waste time and money in not effetive things

regards
    raaki
    #When You Aim For Perfection You Discover It As a Moving Target#
  • kingpinofdiskskingpinofdisks Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on how YOU learn.

I would suggest trying self study, cause it is cheaper. Between the zillion books available and google, you will find any information you need. None of the CCNP stuff is difficult, just tedious to memorize it all :) You can purchase your own lab equipment, or rent racks of equipment online.

I am just using books, google, and rack rental time. It seems to work for me better than a classroom, mainly because I can work at my own pace. The 4 books I bought had CDROMS with practice tests that have decent questions to make sure you understand the basics.

And renting a CCIE rack is MUCH better than the equipment in the 2 classes I audited ($3200 class and a $5000 class). The rack I rent has 10 routers, 4 switches, a PIX, an ASA, and a VPN concentrator, all with Adv or Ent IOS. I even did 2 MPLS labs, since one of the racks at the rack place has a bunch of higher-end 36xx and 45xx routers. All for $15 per 5.5 hours (when timeslots are purchased in bulk anyways). My projection is $600 in rack rental time for the entire CCNP, based on current usage. You can buy equipment if you have the $$$, but the rack rental is a lot cheaper.

If you find you are having any sort of difficulty learning material - whether the difficulty is a lack of motivation or accountability, lack of understanding, too distracted while studying, whatever.... then transition to classes.