The odds of me getting a CCNA Position

TonyDuffyTonyDuffy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm 18 with 2 years of I.T Experience , i'm doing my CCNA at nights at university , what i wanna no is , what are the chances of company's taking an 18 year old on to do CCNA.

Will they say , can't gamble on him being 18?

Or will they say , He's 18 just now ,imagine what he'll be like at 21 ish?

Tony x
Keep Studying.

Comments

• mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you can prove to them that you can do the job during the interview, then I don't see why not. Time like these when internships are great. If you are going into a university, I don't see why you can't get an on-campus NOC position. They might be able to do work study or flex-shift to accommodate your class schedule.

At my university, there was a housing department NOC that handled all the on-campus housing dorm/apartment networks. Something like that might be a great starting point.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Seen it happen many times. "youngsters" are brought in on a low wage and grow up in the company. Your best bet would be places like hospitals, government offices, etc rather than the big private companys. The fact that you have 2 years work experience at 18 and are learning off your own back is quite encouraging. Just write nice letters to IT managers saying it exactly as it is.
    Kam.
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Odds are very good, but you will not know unless you try. Apply, apply, apply, and someone will give you an opportunity to show what you can do. Age does play a factor in some hiring managers decision, but only some, not all.

good luck man!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    NOC's are your friend. If you live in a large enough market, there is always a NOC or 2 hiring. Turnover is pretty high at times. Just make sure you dont' take just any NOC job. I had a offer for a NOC job where I wouldn't have even been able to log on to the routers, firewalls, or servers. I just would have been calling the people who could.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you are not going to become a network engineer over night, it takes hard work, experiance, who you know + alot of luck to get to that place.

Tony - your going in the right direction. Keep it up. Try a NOC position but be aware you may have to work unsociable hours etc.

Remember: Patience is a virtue
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • TonyDuffyTonyDuffy Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    whats an NOC Position.
    Keep Studying.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Network Operations Center

NOCs usually have low level jobs you can get to get your feet wet. You will most likely start out monitoring circuits and layer 1 type stuff. It probably won't be the glorified engineer work you want but you have to start somewhere.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Like everybody said the NOC you can get your foot in the door and learn a lot. I think most people should have support roles before they move into engineering roles. You get to touch a lot of different gear. You also will get exposed to the Linux/UNIX/Windows stuff that you will need. The the biggest gain is your troubleshooting problems. If you find the right NOC. you can do some routing/voice/security all in the same place. Also most experienced Tier 3 and the few Tier 4 NOC engineers get big paychecks. They have all the BWM's and Audi's in my lot,lol.
  • spdivrspdivr Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TonyDuffy wrote:
    I'm 18 with 2 years of I.T Experience , i'm doing my CCNA at nights at university , what i wanna no is , what are the chances of company's taking an 18 year old on to do CCNA.

Will they say , can't gamble on him being 18?

Or will they say , He's 18 just now ,imagine what he'll be like at 21 ish?

Tony x

You should also brush up on your language/grammar skills. Speaking and writing well is a big plus with any company and will make you stand out over the typical kid who only types cell texts while playing Halo.