Best antivirus?

Raul DukeRaul Duke Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So. I want to hear your suggestions.

I use avast! - thinking about changing to panda.

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    There are no bests. They all suck up memory and destroy Virtual DLL files.
  • TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    For Home use I'm with AVG, because they're free.... and I'm Cheap.
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The best anti-virus solution is a combination of at least two different av programs, for the obvious reasons that two know (hence can find) more than one. I prefer Trend Micro, their virus wall saved my @ss several times. At home I usually run a House call (free online scan) from trendmicro.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I use avast! myself and am very happy with it. Quirky email setup, but that is only half a gripe.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The best is really very much opinion. I would suggest you stick with the big boys as they have the resources to get the latest virus, get it researched with good technical staff and then make updated definitions.

Second we can all say your antivirus is only as good as its definitions - so keep em updated

And lastly I like Norton because it now watches for spyware. Sure its probably not as good as Ad-aware or spybot search and destroy, but its automated with its scans and nice to run 1 thing instead of 2.
  • Raul DukeRaul Duke Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    The best anti-virus solution is a combination of at least two different av programs, for the obvious reasons that two know (hence can find) more than one. I prefer Trend Micro, their virus wall saved my @ss several times. At home I usually run a House call (free online scan) from trendmicro.

You said two, which is the other one? Trend Micro and? :)

and yes sab4you; been reading at other forums on different antivirus software threads. Opinion differs quite hihgly. Anyway thinking of just keeping to avast! , works well combined with firewall, spybot and adaware. Haven't had a virus for a long time now. icon_thumright.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At work we advise all of our clients to run Nortons. I consider that to be a fair call as although I have had grumbles over the years I have found that it is a reasonably solid performer. I have always seemed to have various issues with McAfee myself, but have several friends who run nothing else.
    For myself I run Norton, Bitdefender, Avast, AVG and Trend on my assorted boxes depending on where I have been supplied free samples from icon_wink.gif Of course I patch my machines regularly, run scheduled sweeps for spyware, have software firewalls on the machines and also sit behind a hardware one too - but most importantly ... I always ... repeat ALWAYS scan everything I get before opening it. No use having security measures if you circumvent them by sloppy practices icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    You said two, which is the other one? Trend Micro and?
    I don't know what's currently the best combination. I remember reading several reports/benchmarks for different combinations. At that time (about 5 years ago) the best combination was trend micro for protecting the e-mail system(s) internet connection and McAffee for client side protection.

But what is the best combination today, can be the worst tomorrow. That doesn't change the fact that a combination of two or more good av products is more effective than one.
  • fryguyfryguy Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I like AVG's minimalistic K.I.S.S approach. Simple small and seems to work well for detecting all the viruses out there. I wish they would team up with spybot S&D/ADaware and a good Trojan Detector. It would make a ultimate malware detection bundle.
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I run FreeAV. It's caught several trojans that Norton seems to overlook, and the price is right.

It's not a full-featured solution, but the overhead is low and it's updated a lot.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • x_Danny_xx_Danny_x Member Posts: 312 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fryguy wrote:
    I like AVG's minimalistic K.I.S.S approach. Simple small and seems to work well for detecting all the viruses out there. I wish they would team up with spybot S&D/ADaware and a good Trojan Detector. It would make a ultimate malware detection bundle.

What is a good Trojan Detector??
    There There, Its okay to feel GUILTY...........There is no SIN in PLEASURE!
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I have been using Avast for a few days now and I'm pretty surprised! It's Free and i can't complain. I read a couple of posts a while back and thought i should give it a try....Well i like it. Norton system works does the job as well.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Anything but NAV
  • JOblessELementJOblessELement Member Posts: 134
    Trend Micro does an excellent job at corporate level, letting you deploy and update AV clients at the click of a button from one point, the server.

On individual machines (those that aren't on a network), NAV 'Corporate' Edition (not those 200x crap) does a pretty darn good job.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I use nothing right now....I know bad, bad.......I used to use Panda, then I switched to Avast, then NOD32. I prefered NOD32, but it wasn't free. For free, Avast caught quite a few viruses on my last system.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently upgraded my computer and did a fresh install of Windows XP. Looking for an alternative to Norton (which I've used for many years now), I installed Avast! and must say I am pretty impressed by it. It seems to do everything that I need, isn't a resource hog, and the best part, it's free.
  • mikedeekmikedeek Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have an 18 year old sister...i used every AV you can think of ...and like clock work.....i have to reimage her machine every 4-6 weeks...i dont even know where she finds all these viruses
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    mikedeek wrote:
    i have an 18 year old sister...i used every AV you can think of ...and like clock work.....i have to reimage her machine every 4-6 weeks...i dont even know where she finds all these viruses

You should set up her AV to automatically scan all new files, before she is allowed to open them. Also, run Ad-Aware or SpyBot.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put her on XP as a limited user icon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • infiniinfini Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try kaspersky antivirus. It is the best combination of an antivirus and antitrojan program