Options

Virtualization Conference Review

MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
Well, just finished getting back from the Virtualization Conference in Dallas. I wanted to review it for everyone.

First, it was totally useless in terms of learning anything of value for a tech. The conference was clearly aimed at IT Decision makers with oogles of money. All of the company sponsors basically just asked you about your position in the company. Once identified as a decision-maker, they would beg you to then spend money on their product.

Basically, it consisted of 6 hours of listening to microsoft sales people try to sell you the product (or the directors). There was a small segment by an actual technician detailing the technical aspects but it was way too short.

From what I understand, this conference was basically an improvement over other conferences because Microsoft had received feedback about the conferences not being technical enough. It was pretty clear that the sales people didn't have much of clue about the technology.

Overall, I still left very happy. We were fed pretty well, and I received:

1. An E-Book for the Virtualization
2. A Voucher for the 70-652 Virtualization Exam
3. A Voucher for the Microsoft Training Course.

Microsoft told us that all of this was valued at something like $376 (forgive me if I'm wrong). There were a few other networking/technical guys there for the vouchers also.

Overall, I'd prefer to go to something more technical but the 6 hours was worth it for the voucher and course.
I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm signed up for the Atlanta show next month. Sounds like it will be worth going just for the training and exam vouchers. I'm already certified on VMware, so having the MS virtualization cert would be a good addition.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    bwcarty, I agree with you. I wish that I could afford to take the VMWare exam. Anyway, while there, I noticed that a few networking people brought MSPress books and their laptops or brought something to read.

This was a very smart decision because they got the opportunity to utilize their time. Microsoft won't give you the voucher until the absolute end of the conference, so it may be wise to find a way to do something with your time other than fiddle around with your PDA phone (like I had to do).
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone know if there will be one in London / UK ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    https://www.getvirtualnow.com/RegistrationSelect.aspx?

Here is the link to the conference. One Caveat.. There were a lot of empty seats at our conference so I venture to say that everyone didn't show up.

I'm trying to find some more conferences, so I can save money. The collection that I'm using is really good. With a week of hard studying, I may be able to get ready for this one. Definitely worth it..

Just bring something to study like the experienced conference goers.. Then, watch the Microsoft sales reps insult people when ever they don't know the answer to technical questions.. :)
  • Options
    techzie223techzie223 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm signed up for the Atlanta show next month. Sounds like it will be worth going just for the training and exam vouchers. I'm already certified on VMware, so having the MS virtualization cert would be a good addition.