Error 1327 Invalid: Drive H:\ ???

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
Receive this problem all the time I try to install an application. Anyone run into this before? I'm running Vista Home Premium w/ SP1

Comments

• johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try using subst h: c:\ in the command line and try to re-install. icon_confused.gif
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    open regedit and check hkcu/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/shell folders (also user shell folders) to see if anything points to h:/

sorry for the short reply - posting from my iPhone.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Well found a fix, not sure if it's permanent. Changed CD-ROM drive letter to H:
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This happened to me recently. For some reason, one of my mapped drives got stuck in the registry. I couldn't run the VMware Workstation 6.0 > 6.5 upgrade until I resolved it. I'm not sure if it was isolated to the area of the registry that Astorrs pointed out. I seem to remember it being in multiple places, but I'm sure that's a good place to start. I just searched the registry for it and made the necessary edits.

The quick fix I found was actually the subst command. I just created a new mapped drive with that. Astorrs probably remembers this because I quizzed him about the commands usage (it's old and semi-obsolete). Of course, he knew it off the top of his head. Typical of him... icon_rolleyes.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    This happened to me recently. For some reason, one of my mapped drives got stuck in the registry. I'm not sure if it was isolated to the area Astorrs pointed out or not. I just searched the registry for it and made the necessary edits.

The quick fix I found was the subst command. Astorrs probably remembers this because I quizzed him about the commands usage (it's old and semi-obsolete). Of course, he knew it off the top of his head. Typical... icon_rolleyes.gif

I've never mapped a drive on this machine. No idea how the hell it got drive H:\

Random.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you check those two reg keys?
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    On the Profile tab of the user properties in AD in the Home Drive setting we map H:\ to \\server\share\userfolder. In the default user profile on our workstations, we change the path of My Documents to H:\My Documents. This changes the Personal value under the hkcu/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/shell folders registry key to H:\

However, the drive isn't actually mapped until later in the logon process, so any installations that run at logon - such as a group policy deployment - will fail because the windows installer service parses these values at the beginning of the installation. The solution is to change the My Documents path to a UNC path instead of a mapped drive so the folder is available at logon.
    Claymoore wrote:
    On the Profile tab of the user properties in AD in the Home Drive setting we map H:\ to \\server\share\userfolder. In the default user profile on our workstations, we change the path of My Documents to H:\My Documents. This changes the Personal value under the hkcu/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/explorer/shell folders registry key to H:\

However, the drive isn't actually mapped until later in the logon process, so any installations that run at logon - such as a group policy deployment - will fail because the windows installer service parses these values at the beginning of the installation. The solution is to change the My Documents path to a UNC path instead of a mapped drive so the folder is available at logon.

Hmm... I just realized drive H was my external hard drive, which hasn't been turned on in a while.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Claymoore wrote:

Hmm... I just realized drive H was my external hard drive, which hasn't been turned on in a while.
    You've got a shell folder or something set to that drive if so.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    tiersten wrote:
    You've got a shell folder or something set to that drive if so.

Probably the My Music or My Pictures folder if it's an external drive.