Options

Should I go MCSA or straight to MCSE?

I'm just finishing up my Network+ certification and am planning on going to Server+ next. After that I come to a fork in the road. MCSA or MCSE? I know some of the tests overlap, but I feel like going for the MCSE is probably the way to go for me. I'm also aware of the deal CompTIA and Microsoft have about substituting the A+ and Network+/Server+ for one of their tests, making it so I only have to pass 2 Microsoft tests to get MCSA (I believe it's something along those lines.). I'm not really sure which path to go. I could really use some guidance here, and I figured this would be the best place to seek it.

Thanks,
Cheeblie

Comments

• Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    you will need 210, 215 and 218 to complete mcsa by using a+ and network+. 210 and 215 are core exams in mcse, and 218 can be used as an elective. by taking the remaining core exams (216 and 217), all that will be need to gain certification will be a design elective and a regular elective.

there's nothing to stop somebody doing all the core exams and all the electives. i am sure there are many mcses who decide that the electives they took either aren't enough to get them the right job or promotion.
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    good answer, bellboy. I got MCSA along the way towards MCSE... electives are entirely a personal choice and should be chosen based on what area of networking you want to follow.... Network structure and design? security? SQL? this list goes on... focus on the core before you decide on your electives.
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    are your home improvements finished, pavlov?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    PavlovPavlov Member Posts: 264
    hehehe finally :D

Life is getting the way of my surf time now icon_lol.gif
    Pavlov
    A+, Net+, i-Net+, CIW-A
    MCP NT4, MCSA 2K, MCSE 2K
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    i will do the mcsa as i am cruzing towards mcse and ccna

cannot wait to my 210 exam scheduled for the 27th and the network+ scheduled soon and my 215 scheduled on the 2nd of june
    any tips
    thanks
  • Options
    SkiimpySkiimpy Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ghoufa, hello..today is the 28th.i guess you must have written the 210 now. so how was it?
    You think, then you are.
  • Options
    ghaoufghaouf Inactive Imported Users Posts: 317
    sorry i did not see it. well i passed the 210, 215, and net+ in the last 5 days. now it is time to recover from that headache (exams), and go for the 218