Options

Ubuntu Certification vs RHCE

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am looking to go with some linux certs after completing my CCNA and I am trying to decide between the two. I know RHCE is better known for sure, but I'm thinking that Ubuntu might start making an impact. I also have a questions, if you don't have access to Red Hat Enterprise, will Fedora do well enough for studying? Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I don't hear about a lot of corporations deploying Ubuntu to desktops, RHEL on the other hand is already heavily deployed on servers. CentOS is essentially identical to RHEL and is your best bet.

e.g. CentOS 5.2 = RHEL 5 update 2

Grab it here: http://www.centos.org/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some things are best conveyed visually:
    vs.jpg
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ooooh I like the one on the left. But does it come in pink with purple streamers? :P
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    astorrs wrote:
    Ooooh I like the one on the left. But does it come in pink with purple streamers? :P

I'm with astorrs on that one.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL very nice! Thanks for the CentOS, I've heard of it, but didn't know it was based on Red Hat Enterprise!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    You all know you can get RHEL for free, right? Just make a red hat network account and look for the downloads. I'm not sure if they still have the 30-day free update/RHN access, but either way, the OS is free.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to toss out another vote for learning Red Hat and going for RHCE. Red Hat is widely-used, it carries a lot of weight in the industry, and you'll probably see a huge boost in your potential salary based on the fact that the exam itself has a reputation for being "the second-most difficult IT exam to obtain"; (the CCIE still holding the title as difficulty-champion).

Another thing to consider is that, while the RHCE focuses entirely on Red Hat implemenation and management, you can carry a pretty sizable chunk of that knowledge over to other Linux distros. A lot of what you'll be learning is Red Hat's implementation of things like DNS, networking standards, software installation and updates, etc. Many other distros have similarities, and a lot of topics will be Linux-foundation stuff that is exactly the same on any *NIX system. So, becoming a Red Hat guru gives you a huge wealth of knowledge, and learning how to manage another flavor of Linux is only a matter of picking up an administrators guide on it and spending a little bit of time learning the differences.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Some things are best conveyed visually:
    vs.jpg

Does the picture represent the comparison between the certs or the distros? Because if it's the distros you're comparison is something I am going to have intensely disagree with.
  • Options
    jmanrta wrote:
    Does the picture represent the comparison between the certs or the distros? Because if it's the distros you're comparison is something I am going to have intensely disagree with.

Settle down. That was just the comparison of the certs.

This is the comparison of the distros:
    vs2.jpg

Actually, this would probably be more accurate:
    vs3.jpg
  • Options
    What, no book-basket and horn for that big-wheel, dynamik? After all, Ubuntu is known for being loaded with handy features. icon_lol.gif

• Options
    Those weren't included with the base installation. I took it to the customer service desk at Toys R Us, and was all like, "apt-get install horn!" and they just stared at me blankly. It was very disappointing.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Those weren't included with the base installation. I took it to the customer service desk at Toys R Us, and was all like, "apt-get install horn!" and they just stared at me blankly. It was very disappointing.
    You obviously didn't upgrade and recompile the kernel before attempting that install.