Extensive study?

mlucasonemlucasone Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been reading a lot of material for the past week and have gotten the main idea behind every component, yet every time I try a practice exam from a new source I am presented with totally new material. I'm kinda frustrated now thinking that there is no end to what we must know to become security+ certified. For those that have passed the exam: where can I find a source that includes all the detailed information that comptia requires? And also, how much time did you spend studying and what was your study strategy? I've been greedily trying to cram every piece of information in one sitting. I feel like I should space it out, develop a sort of strategy besides being impatient. I've been cramming so much this week that I'm beginning to feel paranoid while surfing the web, thinking some 1337 h4xx0rz are trying to intercept my unencrypted web browsing and run a series of smurf attacks on my face. Any help will be appreciated, and thank you for your time.
Have AS electronic systems technology
Have Security+

Will finish B.S. in Technical Management mid 2010

Working towards CCNA certification.

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Well to get the comptia requirements the best place to get an idea of what all it will cover would be the comptia website. It should list all of the topics covered.

ohh and i wouldnt be worried about being smurfed, instead id be running something like noscript to try and block most of the web attacks out there.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What have you been using to prepare? The Syngress book and Transcender were my two primary sources of study/review.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    What have you been using to prepare? The Syngress book and Transcender were my two primary sources of study/review.

I lurk the security+ posts and often times see that Syngress is the commonly accepted holy grail preferred study books for Security+ here on TechExams. Same goes with Transcender practice tests, I always hear good things about them.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Can I ask why you want to start with your security+?

I would start with your A+, then Network+, then finally do the security+. That's the usual path people take. Security+ can be pretty tricky and having the A+ and Network+ background is pretty vital, especially if your new to IT.

But anyways, here are the Security+ objectives
    http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives/Security_Objectives.pdf
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    mlucasone wrote:
    I've been cramming so much this week that I'm beginning to feel paranoid while surfing the web, thinking some 1337 h4xx0rz are trying to intercept my unencrypted web browsing and run a series of smurf attacks on my face. Any help will be appreciated, and thank you for your time.

Pass me some mushrooms icon_rolleyes.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • mlucasonemlucasone Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response guys! I'm starting with security+ because my employer (air force) wants me to. I work in vulnerability assessment and they really want everyone in network security to get this certification. Once I get this certification, I plan on getting the other ones.
    Have Security+

• nevolvednevolved Member Posts: 131
    Man, you got stationed at Lackland? Did you ask for that?
  • mlucasonemlucasone Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually at Randolph AFB, which was my #8 choice back in 2004 when I joined.
    Have Security+