CCVP lab?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey vpers! do you guys know of any way I can find a good lab setup?

I mean this I have no clue what to get when configuring a vp lab this is what I have

going to have 2 ip phones from ebay soon
have 1760 router with VIC ports (fxo and fxs right?)
no 3550 yet POE
have 3 2950s
maybe i can get power adapters for phones?

I have call manager on a 1760 i think and
I guess i am confused as to wha to get...I mean i hear the Vic ports need
a DSP module (1,000.00) dollars to house the FXO FXS cards?

holy crap
can somebody point me in the right direction for a voice lab that wont kill me
and a topology for vp??
thanks

Comments

• empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    most of us have gotten by with 1 call manager server a 2-2610 with voice moudles and 1FXO and 1 FXS. 2 2950's and 2 IP phones 7940 and 7960. You can do a lot of the basic functions with that. its no where near everything you need, but its more than enough for somebody who already works in a VOIP enviroment. My a guy next to me passed CVOICE with 2 1750 routers with FXS cards.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Really, it doesn't matter what equipment you use!!! As long at you are able to test the Technology that you are working with correctly then you should be fine. Your 1760 runs CME not CCM so you might need to get your hands on an MCS or figure something out... Take the CCVP in step's like the test's have laid them out.. READ ALL THE CISCO PRESS BOOKS...

++ Key thing for CCVP ... the more you know about the technologies you are trying to test the cheaper it is going to be.... ( do you really need a 2821 when a MC3810v3 will do what you need it to???)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Luckycharms

oh so the CCM goes on like a windows 2003 plateform say a vmware workstation type? I heard that and so the 1760 has CME (express) right

what is differencebetween CME and CCM I guess I can google it but rather get your opinion too.
    most of us have gotten by with 1 call manager server a 2-2610 with voice moudles and 1FXO and 1 FXS. 2 2950's and 2 IP phones 7940 and 7960. You can do a lot of the basic functions with that. its no where near everything you need, but its more than enough for somebody who already works in a VOIP enviroment. My a guy next to me passed CVOICE with 2 1750 routers with FXS cards.

empc4000xl

okay, let me see if I got t this straight what of the voice modules are they the FXO/FXS cards? or do you need modules then cards?
    so it is VIC slots needing DSP modules needing FXS/FXO cards right? that order?

FXS line is hooked into say the 2950?? where the 2 ip phones are hooked into the 2950?
    have CME on 1760 with CCM on the say workstation vm???? Oh can I put voice modules in my 2610 you said that right? so i can 2 voice routers correct? if i get DSP module and the fxs cards?
    I think I see what you mean am I getting it or not? and where in the heck do you get the DSP modules I heard they were big big bucks?? no?and where?
    thank you!

where do I get CCM is it free????
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No offense itdaddy but you should really start reading up on voice in general before you end up wasting money on some equipment.

Learn the basics as you don't have them down at all if you think an FXS port plugs into a switch icon_lol.gif I'd suggest Voice over IP Fundamentals to start with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    networker050184

yeah i dont know all that yet you are right thank for link

i just dont know how to do you go from router to many phones????
    what is the exact topology would be nice thanks for refernce

;)

oh no I am not buying nothing until i get it down pat ;)

I mean I assume you when from FXS to poe switch to then a phone/PC
    but i guess there is something in the middle ?? not sure.
    thanks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you read the CCVP FAQ?
    itdaddy wrote:
    is it free????
    No

Here's a lab topology from the Cisco Docs
    119460.jpg

But the NLI CCIE Voice Rack may be easier to figure out. Check out the Click Here For A Graphical PDF Overview link on the Virtual Racks by CCBOOTCAMP web page. The Voice Hardware Layout link is also good to check out.

Voice, just like Security, can get expensive with the required hardware -- so the standard advice applies: Build what you can afford (using some of the cheaper and older equipment or some great deals off of eBay) and rent the rest.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mike

you always refer me to the docs huh..i just like asking you guys ;)
    will look at it thanks ;)
    check out my pm to you what do you think of that lab? all what i need
    looks that way but is it really outdated?
    i never expect to get the newest stuff but fo rthe price i thought it was a steal!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote:
    check out my pm to you what do you think of that lab? all what i need
    looks that way but is it really outdated?
    As I said -- overpriced. You'll learn a whole lot more building your own lab piece by piece. Getting a "kit" may be faster, but you'll learn a lot less.

And you don't need everything in the CCIE Voice Rack for the CCVP.... but 2 fax machines would be nice (or 1 fax machine and one laptop with fax modem & software) so that you can actually test sending faxes.

And I think the CIPT CBT Nuggets has the "build a home lab video" in it. But the CVOICE CBT Nugget would probably be the first one to get (if you're a "Video Person").
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    === +100 million for CBTnuggets ===

Jeromy is a really good video/live teacher, if you get the chance to go to one of his class's go..
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
    wow thanks alot
    i have jeremy's Cvoice cbt just started it have to look in it. but it is the 432 not the newer 436 version will look in it.but yeah....

hey why is it guys who are ccnp can do voice already? is that true we had a ccnp who setup
    our voip system with Mitel 3300 controllers but it seems where ever I go ccnp can do voip
    or some already is this true??
    thanks

by the way i love cbts i am blind as a bat and need videos to help reading is good if it is Cisco press. those books I think are well written..but it is either cisco press books of preferablly
    Bryant or Cbtnugget jer Dog! he is awesome! I wish I could take his class like go to AZ and all
    be awesome !;)
    omg Mike

i found in my 432 vids from CBTs "what to buy for ccvp" I cannot believe i missed that

see i toldyou man i was blind! here i go! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

robert;)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The CBTs will also show you where to hook that FXS port to icon_wink.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    networker050184

great looks like cvoice is it for me will watch all before i buy more toys ;)

thanks dudes!
    okay ccvp dudes mikeJ and networker050184

i think a light went on i my head....fxs port is analog and it hooks to say an analogue phone
    it is not an voip phone is it.. or ip phone ip phones get hooked in to switches
    but a analogue phone uses a fxs port while the fxo port is for PSTN connection

am i getting it or am i a brick (hahaha )

say fxs port to an analogue phone could be for the BAT phone or back up phone for 911 calls
    say if Voip is down right??? or just old phones still working right

am i getting it or back to brick college for me.....

:D

you hava analogue phones
    and you have IP phone two different speciies; man i just wasnt seeing it but i think i see
    now right please lie to me hahhah ;)
    ccvptop.jpg

see I found my ccvp topology lab cool huh!
    ccvplab.png

my new cvoice lab what you think for a rookie dudes! am a i getting it???

the only issue i have is the Vic slots i can get 1 vic card for each slot and have 2 or 4 fxo/fxs ports right I need no carrier module right?????

the next two things i need are 2 ip phones and 2 vic slot cards 1 2fxo and 1 fxs card
    and I be ready for cvoice right????