CANCELLED????? NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
The (ISC)2 wrote:
Dear Candidate,

The (ISC)2 exam that you are scheduled to take in Santa Ana, CA on November
16th, 2008 has been cancelled due to low registrations.
These following two
options are only available for registrants that have already paid (ISC)2 for
their exam by either credit card, voucher, or check. You have the following
options available;

1. Receiving a voucher that must be used within one (1) calendar year to
schedule into a future exam. This option is available if you cannot find
another exam on our current schedule to reschedule into.

2. Provide us with an alternate exam city and date that we can reschedule
you into.

If you have paid a third party for your exam fees you will be removed from
the exam and as of right now you are not registered for any exam. Please
contact the organization that you originally registered with, so they will
be able to assist you with registering for a future event. Also, the
organization in which you originally registered with will need to
communicate your intentions, with us directly, before you will be permitted
to sit for an exam.

Please contact us at registrar@isc2.org or call 888-333-4458 to let us know
what you have decided to do. You can also visit our website at www.isc2.org
to review our current exam schedule.

Demetrio Barbaro
(ISC)2R Services
Security Transcends TechnologyR
(P)1.888.333.4458
(F)1.727.738.8522
dbarbaro@isc2.org

I wonder if the December exam in Santa Ana will be canceled as well. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    D'oh.

Sorry to hear that JD icon_sad.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I might hafta drive into Los Angeles. It's pretty late to sign up for a November exam, unless there's not a lot of people taking the CISSP exam this time a year.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow...pretty brazen of them to cancel on you and then not even consider a refund of your payment so that you can reschedule and pay on your terms.

Hopefully they don't pull that on someone who has to book a flight to go take the exam.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    "Don't do that, you'll get me certified. And you won't like me when I'm certified. . ."

Ouch, that hurts. Are they on the ball about refunding your money, or is it going to take weeks to get your credit/debit card credited? You figure the least they could do is contact you and offer to reschedule your exam for another place or another time, when there are enough candidates to justify a test-day.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aww, that sucks man. I hope you have better luck with your rescheduled date.

Isn't there typically multiple proctors? You think they'd just trim down the number an appropriate amount. Maybe the turnout was so bad it didn't matter. It seems odd that an exam with an infrequent offering like that, especially in CA, would suffer from something like that.
    bwcarty wrote:
    Wow...pretty brazen of them to cancel on you and then not even consider a refund of your payment so that you can reschedule and pay on your terms.
    You would need to show extreme hardship to get a full refund. Even to voluntarily reschedule an (ISC)2 exam costs $100. I need the cert so I'm not complaining about not having to go through a refund/repayment cycle. This sort of thing could be a Godsend to people not prepared for their exam date, but that's not me.

OK, I'm calm now.
    dynamik wrote:
    Isn't there typically multiple proctors? You think they'd just trim down the number an appropriate amount. Maybe the turnout was so bad it didn't matter. It seems odd that an exam with an infrequent offering like that, especially in CA, would suffer from something like that.
    This exam was being hosted by a training company that gives a CISSP bootcamp followed by the CISSP exam in a hotel. They may have had poor enrollment in the class and decided to cancel both the class and the exam itself. The (ISC)2 may not have a rule that forces them to still conduct the exam in any event. It's just a possibility; I really don't know.

Anyway, I'm just waiting to hear back from registrar@isc2.org about my options.
  • cashewcashew Member Posts: 122 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear JD. I have mine scheduled for February in Atlanta. There is so much knowledge that you need to retain, if you're ready you definately need to go for it. I would take the trip to LA and knock it out! When I lived in San Francisco, I would make weekend trips to SoCal. Take a half day from work. head out there Friday, stay at the hotel proctering the exam, knock it out, then head to venice for the rest of the day to celebrate. icon_cool.gif

Either way, good luck buddy.
    It looks like I'll be signing up for the CISSP exam given on Saturday, December 20th in Los Angeles. I think it's downtown at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel. I probably won't get my results until well after the holidays, but it's the soonest I can take it locally.

I'm really surprised how depressing I find all this, but things happen for a reason (so they say).
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I'm really surprised how depressing I find all this, but things happen for a reason (so they say).

Think about how many months of anticipation you've put into this. That doesn't seem that odd.

You have any more of those Russian Porters you like? A few of those might help take the edge off drunken_smilie.gif

Oh well, it'll pass. You'll still be able to look back at 2008 as the year you got your CISSP; that'll be a great way to wrap up the year.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sorry to hear that James, that's certainly bad news two weeks before the exam and especially for an exam like the CISSP. I hope December will be a smooth experience, and once you got that certificate on the wall it won't matter.
    dynamik wrote:
    You have any more of those Russian Porters you like? A few of those might help take the edge off drunken_smilie.gif
    I downed a Sam Adams Black Lager as soon as I got home from work. drunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gif

Webmaster wrote:
    and once you got that certificate on the wall it won't matter.
    Oh, ain't that the truth. It'll just be another thing to blog about. The real pain is that I have some projects that I've been putting on hold until after I finish the CISSP. Maybe I'll start one of them just to give my brain a rest. ;)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like you've at least got the reschedule squared away and things are cooling down. Some of that Black Lager makes everything better. Well, that and the other thing. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Wow... sorry to hear that it was canceled! The same thing happened to me on my November 15th exam date here in town and now I'm scheduled to take it a few hours away. My main concern is having a pregnant wife and having to take the exam around the time that the baby could be born (well, about 3wks before the due date... which still has me worried).

On the bright side it does mean a little more time to study and think of the passing score as a holiday gift icon_smile.gif
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Sorry to hear that JD. I think this happens more often than we think. I'm sure you will adjust and be ready to go in December.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Best of luck JD!! I'm sure this will only help you in the long run for the exam :D
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    JDMurray wrote:
    The real pain is that I have some projects that I've been putting on hold until after I finish the CISSP. Maybe I'll start one of them just to give my brain a rest. ;)
    I'm looking forward to that point too, maybe you could start with some security related more-functional and less-entertainment related projects to get into it. Or combine the two and create something educational. :D Even though it would be more practical than most CISSP topics it could help staying in 'security-mode'.
    OK, I'm all set for 12/20/08 in LA. Lift-off reset to T-minus 51 days and counting...
    (ISC)2 Examination - Los Angeles
    ID/Examination Number: xxxxxx
    Registration Date: 10/30/2008 9:48 AM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Dear James Murray

This letter is to confirm your (ISC)2 examination registration for Los Angeles, CA, USA (ISC)2 Examination December 20, 2008.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    OK, I'm all set for 12/20/08 in LA. Lift-off reset to T-minus 51 days and counting...
    (ISC)2 Examination - Los Angeles
    ID/Examination Number: xxxxxx
    Registration Date: 10/30/2008 9:48 AM (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Dear James Murray

This letter is to confirm your (ISC)2 examination registration for Los Angeles, CA, USA (ISC)2 Examination December 20, 2008.

Best of luck JD. Ill partake in some variation of Sam Adams this weekend as well for ya! :D
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The New Orleans one was also canceled so now two of my co workers have to fly to Dallas to take it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • macstamacsta Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What is happening in the ISC2 camp? they are cancelling exams, not marking exams that have sat!

Maybe there is Problems we dont know about????
    Mac

(It was hard, But worth it)
    It's been pointed out that there are multiple reasons why (ISC)2 exams can be canceled: weather conditions, a canceled seminar or bootcamp, or low enrollment due to the current economic conditions, lay-offs, or just the time of year. I've never seen any stats of the percentage of (ISC)2 exams that are canceled each year, so I can't say if what we are currently experiencing is normal or not.