SQL Server 2005 Administrator's Companion

jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
I just picked up this book from Amazon. It was only $11 with shipping, not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2005-Administrators-Companion/dp/0735621985/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225370958&sr=8-1

It's a good size book, 1100 pages. I bought it based on the reviews, although there are only 6, but all good. I'll be studying for the 70-431 here soon with an end goal of the MCITP: Database Admin cert. I'll be reading it along side the 70-431 training kit book. I'd thought I'd share as it it a really cheap book and if anyone has any questions about it's content, I'd be more than happy to anser them.

Comments

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The link you gave shows a price of $38?

This is a good book for on the job reference and additional reading, but for exam prep I wouldn't use it as the primary resource.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He probably got a used copy; those start at $6.40. I have saved a TON of money by getting used books of slightly older IT releases, and they have almost always been in perfect condition. That's definitely something worth looking at.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    The book was actually new but listed at a discount price. This book is not going to be my primary study guide as I am awaiting the 70-431 book as well. My end goal is to be a MS SQL Server DBA, so I want to learn more that what is just required to pass the tests. I think this book will also help with the 70-443 and 70-444 tests as well.

I'm also thinking about getting this book as well. It has good reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-SQL-Server-2005-Unleashed/dp/0672328240/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=IEE8A0FFIJ6BK&colid=1HSDEJYJXKWDY
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the unleashed book, it is very good. One thing, at least with the edition of the book I bought, is that they accidently left out necessary files needed for many of the examples in the book.

If you do buy the book, be sure to download the files here:

http://www.informit.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0672328240&rl=1
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I have the unleashed book, it is very good.

Agreed. The unleashed book is probably all you need. I bought the MS press book and hated it. I bought the APRESS books for High Availability and Disaster recovery...they are both pretty good. If I knew then, I would have baught only the unleashed and high availability books.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Peer pressure set in so I just placed an order for the unleashed book. :D Seller is also in TX so it shouldn't take long for it to get here.