Frame Switch Question

Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
What equipment is recommended for a frame switch?

It seems like quite a few people are using 2500 series but it seems just as expensive to get an 8 port serial mod for a 2610.

What do you guys have set up as your frame switch?
Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Luck is where opportunity and proper planning meet

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What prices are you seeing? Right now on eBay, the NM-8A/S alone is $75 while you can get a 2520 with maxed ram for $85. Those are both buy-it-now prices, you could probably go lower if you're patient.
  • Panzer919Panzer919 Member Posts: 462
    dynamik wrote:
    What prices are you seeing? Right now on eBay, the NM-8A/S alone is $75 while you can get a 2520 with maxed ram for $85. Those are both buy-it-now prices, you could probably go lower if you're patient.

I have a 2610 currently, I was debating on getting an NM-8A/S and just making it a Frame Switch. I'm trying to determine if thats overkill or not.

I was looking at the specs on the 2520's and I seen this:

2 Serial network interface(s)
    2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)

What is the difference between these two port types? I'm used to just seeing Serial network interface(s), I'm just trying to figure out what is the benefit/drawback of the other ports.

You will have to excuse me if this is a dumb question but I'm not that familiar with serial port types. I just want to make sure it's going to be compatible with any WIC's I might purchase or if its something I need to look out for.
    Cisco Brat Blog

I think “very senior” gets stuck in there because the last six yahoos that applied for the position couldn’t tell a packet from a Snickers bar.

Thomas A. Edison
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No worries, I'm far from an expert myself. AFAIK, it's just what it sounds like, a speed difference. I don't think it's going to be noticeable in a lab setting, and you shouldn't have any compatibility issues. Maybe someone else can jump in and confirm this.

Also, I coincidentally could part with a 2520 or NM-8A/S, so shoot me a PM when you've made a decision, and maybe we can work something out.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you're going to compare with the 2520 -- then you should price an NM-4A/S -- I got some for $25 plus shipping.

The 2522 (and 2523 which is Token Ring) have 8A/S plus 2 higher speed Serial ports.

I use an NM-8A/S in a 3620 for my R&S CCIE lab frame relay, a 2523 for my Security lab, and a 2520 over on the Voice side.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    You could just load up GNS3 and create one big happy frame relay topology...
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Panzer919 wrote:
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s).
    The 2 "regular" serial interfaces are sync only and can go to 1.544Mbps. The 2 low speed ones can do async and sync but are limited to 115.2Kbps. Since this is a lab, it doesn't affect you because you don't need to run the links at a high speed and you'll want sync serial for everything anyway.
    Panzer919 wrote:
    What equipment is recommended for a frame switch?
    I've got a 2610XM with a NM-8A/S as my frame switch.

A 2600/2600XM with a NM-4A/S or NM-8A/S will work. The other option is to go for a 2520 or a 2522. A 2521 or 2523 will also work but you have token ring instead of ethernet.

There are async/sync serial WICs as well but they're expensive.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you're gonna build a frame relay switch the 2610 and nm-8a/s is the cheapest route.

You can pick up a NM-8A/S off ebay for under 80 bucks and 2610's are under 30 dollars now for the most part.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge wrote:
    If you're gonna build a frame relay switch the 2610 and nm-8a/s is the cheapest route.

You can pick up a NM-8A/S off ebay for under 80 bucks and 2610's are under 30 dollars now for the most part.

see thats the direction I was thinking of going since I already have a 2610. Ive seen some 2520's going for 150+ so it might be the cheaper alternative. plus i can always change the WIC's and do something else.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    Go with the NM-8A/S with either a 2600 or 3600 router. The 2520s are good, but you are limited to 4 ports. If you want to go higher than the CCNA, you will need more than 4 ports.
    I already have my CCNA, it will be for my CCNP lab. Plus since I have a 2610 all I would need is a nm-8a/s and some memory.
    Cisco Brat Blog

Thomas A. Edison
  • SetotekSetotek Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this mean that i can buy a nm-8a/s and stick it into my 2621XM? Can anyone verify? Thanks.

Setotek
    Setotek wrote:
    Does this mean that i can buy a nm-8a/s and stick it into my 2621XM? Can anyone verify? Thanks.
    Do what Dynamik said as well but yes, you can use a NM-8A/S in a 2600XM. I've got a NN-8A/S in a 2610XM.
    Thanks guys. I guess it would be cheaper to buy this card if you already have a 2600 router rather than buy a 2520 with a 4 or 8 serial port.

Setotek
    Silly Me...Tech Exams has even a cheaper route given you have the equipment...

http://www.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_fr.shtml

1x 2520
    3 x 2501 with DCE/DTE cables

to combine for a frame relay scenario.