Comptia ranting.....

One thing that really bothers me about Comptia is the certification document. I got the A+ cert back in 2006 and it came in a yellow envelope and was creased. The look and graphics are cheesy and cheap and the paper is the thickness of cheap printing paper. I looked at the certs that Microsoft gives out and was very impressed next to my Comptia Cert. Comptia takes no pride in making it look professional or authentic. Besides the fact that they didn't even put padding in the envelope to protect it from creasing! After my network+, I am done with Comptia and sticking to MS tests. Considering you pay more then Microsoft tests, you'd think they would put a few more pennies into making it look hologram or more professional!
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Don't go for any Red Hat certifications, they don't give you anything :P

But I do agree it is cheap of them not to give you anything that looks decent. Although, if you do look at it this way, certs are for helping you get a job and show your knowledge on a particular subject.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote:
    Don't go for any Red Hat certifications, they don't give you anything :P

But I do agree it is cheap of them not to give you anything that looks decent. Although, if you do look at it this way, certs are for helping you get a job and show your knowledge on a particular subject.

Seriously? you dont get anything from redhat? Dynamik will not be happy about that :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    nel wrote:
    Seriously? you dont get anything from redhat? Dynamik will not be happy about that :D

For dynamik that would be a deal breaker....I did a quick Google search looks like they give you this though http://www.fink.org/rhce.gif
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my A+ in 2000 and I took my Net+ in 2006. I like my A+ certificate much more than my Net+ certificate. My A+ certificate circa 2000 looks considerably more professional rather than my Net+ certificate circa 2006. icon_mad.gif Which just means that my i-Net+ and Server+ look just as lame as my Net+... icon_cry.gif
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    mamono wrote:
    I took my A+ in 2000 and I took my Net+ in 2006. I like my A+ certificate much more than my Net+ certificate. My A+ certificate circa 2000 looks considerably more professional rather than my Net+ certificate circa 2006. icon_mad.gif Which just means that my i-Net+ and Server+ look just as lame as my Net+... icon_cry.gif

I know the same pain icon_sad.gif

My A+ from January 2003 looks like a professional certification. My Network+, Security+ and DHTI+ all look kind of lame really.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    shednik wrote:
    nel wrote:

For dynamik that would be a deal breaker....I did a quick Google search looks like they give you this though http://www.fink.org/rhce.gif

Hahaha that's awesome!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Well I got my A+/Net+ back in 2005 and my Sec+ in 2008. I do have to say they design looks a lot better on my Sec+. Not just a plain blue and white background.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shednik wrote:
    nel wrote:

But I wanted a red hat! icon_cry.gif *Throws RHCE book away*

I'm not sure why you guys really care. All of mine are stuck in the back of some file cabinet. I don't even know if I have them all. I sorted through a stack of papers I the other day and a found a few MS score reports and my Security+ certificate. How many more are scattered around my apartment? It's like a scavenger hunt every day in there! icon_lol.gif

There were a lot of complaints of the Cisco certificates arriving all bent and destroyed. Well, my CCENT arrived like that. MS puts a big "DO NOT BEND" on all their envelopes, so the post lady (who is hot but has sadly stopped wearing shorts because of the cold) just slides it under my apartment door. Well, the Cisco envelopes don't have this on there, so she just smashed that on into my tiny mail box with all the junk mail icon_lol.gif
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    dynamik wrote:
    There were a lot of complaints of the Cisco certificates arriving all bent and destroyed. Well, my CCENT arrived like that. MS puts a big "DO NOT BEND" on all their envelopes, so the post lady (who is hot but has sadly stopped wearing shorts because of the cold) just slides it under my apartment door. Well, the Cisco envelopes don't have this on there, so she just smashed that on into my tiny mail box with all the junk mail icon_lol.gif

Must be nice. Our postman is about as sharp as a rock and rolled mine up and stuck it in my tiny mailbox.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aordal wrote:
    Must be nice. Our postman is about as sharp as a rock and rolled mine up and stuck it in my tiny mailbox.

She could crumple it in a ball and leave it in the snow for all I care.

As long as she was wearing the shorts...
    I came across my Security+ certificate and a few score reports the other day while cleaning. I filed them in the recycle bin.
  • skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I figured most guys would hang the hard ones on the wall, but I guess throwing them in the trash bin is all the same. :)
    You can prove your certification from the web site so I see no need for the certificate. Most seem pretty ugly anyways. :)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My A+ from January 2003 looks like a professional certification.
    My A+ cert from 2003 looks like the fake cert that came with the $2 Walmart frame.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I like hanging my certs. I was pretty disappointed with Comptia as well. It was clearly printed from an inkjet on standard paper. I was hoping it would have like a gold seal on it and everything, man was I surprised. Both my A+ and Net+ (from 2007) look like some cheesy blue and white abstract art with my name on it. I could have photoshoped that myself and it would have looked EXACTLY the same.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    I have my Net+, CCNA, and Sec+ proudly displayed on my cubicle wall. :D
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Yeah I hang mine also. I am proud of my certifications. I got mine in 2006 and here is what it looks like this.
    Aplus:

Raven_Morris_-_A_Plus_Certificate.jpg

Microsoft certification are much more authentic. They have holograms and can not be printed and edited in photoshop:

Cert:
    MCSE2003.jpg[/b]
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.