Options

Using Linux with CCM 4.3?

I was going to try and install VMWare in order to run CCM 4.3 on my laptop, and I wanted to know if Linux can be used for the OS instead of something like Windows Server 2003? I've been told that with Linux (like Ubuntu), you can install both the VMWare and the CCM file on, say, an external HD and have it work, whereas with Windows, this can't be done.

Does someone have any input?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I run VMWare on my XP Core 2 Laptop with 2 gigs of memory. I have no problem running and storing the VMWare image files on a USB (version 2) external hard drive running an NTFS file system.

My 4.3 media has both the 2000 and 2003 discs and I've done both. If you don't have a preference, go with the 2003.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    How much is Windows 2003?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    It's usually included as part of the CallManager Media Pack.

My 4.3 kit includes the discs and Proof of Licence Certificate of Authenticity for both
    Cisco IP Telephony Server OS 2000.4.5
    and
    Cisco IP Telephony Server OS 2003.1.2

The Win Svr 2003 Teleco Svr App SW 3.0 1-4 CPU Proof of Licence Certificate of Authenticity includes the product key.

I think Jeremy showed this eBay seller as a source for the software in one of the nuggets... currently has 4.3(2) software media kit for $48 or best offer.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    It's usually included as part of the CallManager Media Pack.

My 4.3 kit includes the discs and Proof of Licence Certificate of Authenticity for both
    Cisco IP Telephony Server OS 2000.4.5
    and
    Cisco IP Telephony Server OS 2003.1.2

The Win Svr 2003 Teleco Svr App SW 3.0 1-4 CPU Proof of Licence Certificate of Authenticity includes the product key.

I think Jeremy showed this eBay seller as a source for the software in one of the nuggets... currently has 4.3(2) software media kit for $48 or best offer.

Hmm. So with this I'd only need a server to put it on or get by with VMware? Seems the VMware would be the much cheaper alternative.
  • Options
    Hmm. So with this I'd only need a server to put it on or get by with VMware? Seems the VMware would be the much cheaper alternative.
    Getting a supported server with enough memory and disk is the easiest and most realistic method to study and learn.

The VMWare option is cheaper -- but you have to figure out VMWare and the configuration.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote:
    The VMWare option is cheaper -- but you have to figure out VMWare and the configuration.

I know! Man, what a freakin' headache! icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    It's probably just easier to get VMWare Server and use that -- then try to figure out how to use VMWare Player and the web sites that let you create virtual machines and images that you can then load CallManager into. VMWare Server lets you do it all on your PC.

VMWare Player is fine if you just want to run virtual machines that others have already created.