Subnetmask question

crosserdcrosserd Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
897412d8.jpg

Is it possible for this to work in the real routers?
If it could, could u ping 172.16.2.1 to the other 172.16.2.1
I know this couldn't work in packet tracer so don't flame me >_<

Im doing this for project just so you guys know =p

Problems I want to solve(If possible):
1) Big private ip address network
-With only Class-B IP
-More then 16 Private IP needed (Which is not enough for private IP T_T)

Comments

• cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you need end to end communication this is not going to work. If each end needs to communicate only locally then you could be ok, IF you are very careful.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you mean by "More then 16 Private IP needed (Which is not enough for private IP T_T)"?
  • crosserdcrosserd Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks I get what you mean T_T

My network would be one focal point to WAN and the rest is Lan so it's gona be large =D

cisco_trooper:Is it possible to mix Class-A private IP address and Class-B and Class-C in a private network? =D

dynamik:i meant i need more then 16 private ip address for the large network, it must beable to connect to each other, but the maximum private IP there is in B class is 172.16.x.x ~ 172.32.x.x =D

and big Thanks for replies
    I still don't know what you mean by 16 private IP addresses. Do you mean you need more than 16 separate networks? How many hosts per network? You could subnet that into hundreds of networks if you have low host requirements per network.
    Sorry for late reply

My teacher asked me to use Class B Private IP Address which is
    172.16.x.x~172.32.x.x
    which i can only use 16 network addresses. which is not enough when i use too much routers for each buildings >_<

OK i solved this problem by replacing routers with switches ^^ seems like the only way when u have few network addresses to use for >_<
    SORRY DYNAMIK i didn't realized that xD

i just saw the 9v1.pkt which comes with the installed packet tracer
    and it's possible to set different broadcast domain with 192.168.1.x by just using mask
    now that i think ive DEFINED "network address" the wrong way.. x) i think ive just got two more question to ask

Question) As long as it has different network address when the ip address "AND" with the mask it would could it be used in different broadcast domain?

Question) why can't "9v1.pkt" can't ping ? XD isn't it suppose to be pingable? :P cuz cisco made that file which came with the installer? :O
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    If you are trying to communicate with the other side this topology will fail. The first thing a host will do before sending a packet is compare itself to the destination address. As these addresses are in the same subnet it will try and arp for a mac address = fail.
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    crosserd wrote:
    OK i solved this problem by replacing routers with switches ^^ seems like the only way when u have few network addresses to use for >_<

I'm not quite sure how you think this will work, you still have each host with the same IP address as another host or are you changing something?
    You never said how many hosts you're going to have on each network.

Like I said, you can split that up into a lot more than 16 networks. You need to know how many hosts you're going to have on each network though.