Token Ring

wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
I am studying for my CCNP I have a series of routers a couple which have token ring (RJ-45) interfaces. Is there a way to connect these back to back if so what are the pinouts for that particular lead.

I would also like to host my rack online so people could use it for free when Im not does anyone know how to go about this?
Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    wildfire wrote:
    I am studying for my CCNP I have a series of routers a couple which have token ring (RJ-45) interfaces. Is there a way to connect these back to back if so what are the pinouts for that particular lead.
    I'm actually not sure if that would work but Token-Ring uses pairs 1 and 3 (pins 4-5, 3-6) so you could give it a shot.

If you do you need a MSAU you should be able to pick up a used one for nearly nothing.
    wildfire wrote:
    I would also like to host my rack online so people could use it for free when Im not does anyone know how to go about this?
    Let me know if you find out ;)
    I've been looking for a solution for that myself. It seems that those who do it developed something theirselves.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.cabling-design.com/references/pinouts/token_ring_crossover.shtml

This only works if your hardware has a builtin MAU (7500). Otherwise you need to get an external MAU.

what do you have for a lab setup?
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    cheers for the responses guys, no luck finding a mau on ebay, was just trying to utilise spare ports,

My lab setup is at www.ciscoengineer.co.uk

I have made some headway hosting online, First you need a terminal server, I am using win 2k3 server, then using a hub connect to all aux ports. if you have a dhcp then have to use an auto dns, I got all this info from a guy who lives down the road who offers free rack time www.ciscorack.co.uk, he answered all the questions for me. Once Im up and running Id be prepared to offer my rack out for the people on these forums for free.
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nice rack setup icon_thumright.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    Pretty nice. This is what I have assembled so far. I am using 2 2511s for terminal servers. They are pretty good. I can hookup to 32 different console ports. I am thinking of getting some PIX firewalls for the CCSP.

left.jpg

right.jpg
  • dswillieusdswillieus Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what a mess! lol icon_eek.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    It's not that bad actually, I don't see any knots and it doesn't remind me of spaghetti yet.
    Thats after one lab. I remove every cable, to include power, before I start another lab. I then build the network from the ground up each time. It would be useless to connect the cables and make them pretty when I will be disconnecting everything in short order. I always start with no config and no cables connected.