GNS3 (dynamips) Question

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
I just installed GNS3 and when I try to build a topology, I get the message, "Please register at least one IOS image". Can't find help on the site.

Is it also possible to connect other devices to GNS3 like real switches?

Thanks,
es
icon_cool.gif

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    examseeker wrote:
    I just installed GNS3 and when I try to build a topology, I get the message, "Please register at least one IOS image". Can't find help on the site.

Is it also possible to connect other devices to GNS3 like real switches?

Thanks,
    es
    icon_cool.gif

without creating a topology
    click edit
    select ios images and hypervisor
    locate the ios you want to run (you must have ios images on your computer)
    select platform
    set the model type
    set the ram amount
    then save it

you can then drag the created device to the desktop and launch it.
    You will then need to set the idlepc value after the device fully loads
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Ok.. without breaking any rules.. how do I get IOS images? Do I need to purchase a router? I have an account with Cisco, however, guest level access appears unable to download IOS images. Is there a legal way to get images?
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most people use their CCO account to obtain them, or if you have a router, you could pull it off there, but I believe by Cisco's account- using an image on anything other than actual cisco hardware is illegal. Source..

http://tcpmag.com/qanda/article.asp?EditorialsID=403
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    As Mrock4 points out, using IOS with anything other than Cisco hardware isn't actually allowed.

You need a SMARTnet service contract on a Cisco device that hasn't already been end-of-lifed to be able to download IOS from the website. You're supposed to relicense IOS if you buy a second hand device as well. You get whatever is on a brand new device for "free" but you don't get the right to update that without a service contract.

If you do get full access to CCO then you can actually download any version of IOS you like along with any particular feature set. There is a click through however that you must agree to which says Cisco may charge you for any downloads you're not supposed to have.
    Thanks for the info.. I do have a CC0 account -- where does it allow me to download an IOS -- even if I have to pay for it?

es
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Support > Download Software. It'll ask you for your CCO login, then you should see a link for IOS software.

Thanks Tiersten for the information on relicensing..I didn't know that.
    examseeker wrote:
    Thanks for the info.. I do have a CC0 account -- where does it allow me to download an IOS -- even if I have to pay for it?
    You need to link your CCO account with a SMARTnet contract to be able to download IOS. If you've only got guest access then you can't download anything.
    Mrock4 wrote:
    Thanks Tiersten for the information on relicensing..I didn't know that.
    Yeah. It is to discourage you from buying secondhand equipment.
    Should I buy a router? Would that give me access to other IOS images?