How do I study for simulation questions?

FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking this exam November 15 and I would like to know how I can study for simulation questions. The only thing I can think of is by doing the labs for the press book which I have been doing for about a month now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only way to study for them is to know the material laid out in the objectives. Any topic you come across in the book, practice them. Whether that may be through Virtual PC, Virtual Server, VMWare, etc.... Practicing what you are reading will help it stick in your head and will give you that bit of hands on knowledge that you don't always quite get from reading alone.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Practice the topics you are learning in a VM or at work
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Make sure you go through configuring everything from scratch at least once. Creating GPOs and OUs in AD, setting up user accounts, adding computers to the domain, setting share and NTFS permissions, and so and so forth. Then just play with it all until you're comfortable enough that you could look at a menu and understand everything it has laid out for you. Generally the simulations are nothing to be afraid of. If you understand the question and the desired results just fine then you should be able to find your way through it. Just make sure you're studied up on everything for the multiple choice questions! There are way more of those on the test than sims.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would recommend running every lab twice in the Sybex book. Once by the book and another time messing up on purpose, and correcting it.
    -Daniel
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    undomiel wrote:
    Make sure you go through configuring everything from scratch at least once. Creating GPOs and OUs in AD, setting up user accounts, adding computers to the domain, setting share and NTFS permissions, and so and so forth.

I would add delegation of authority to this list. Let's imagine you have a group of help desk users. They are technical but not sys admins. How would you grant them the authority only to do certain things in the AD (like change group membership, reset passwords, etc)?
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Make sure you go through configuring everything from scratch at least once. Creating GPOs and OUs in AD, setting up user accounts, adding computers to the domain, setting share and NTFS permissions, and so and so forth. Then just play with it all until you're comfortable enough that you could look at a menu and understand everything it has laid out for you. Generally the simulations are nothing to be afraid of. If you understand the question and the desired results just fine then you should be able to find your way through it. Just make sure you're studied up on everything for the multiple choice questions! There are way more of those on the test than sims.

I just recently passed the 290 and this is very spot on.