Options

Taking this Friday. EDIT: Passed

M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
Pretty nervous. Not very confident. Using second shot and I took off both Thursday & Friday to help me prepare. So, any suggestions?
Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck, I took this a week or so ago and it really surprised me, it was difficult and IMO much harder than the 291.

The usual stuff applies, like chill out and relax and dont be put of if you get a long barrage of very long winded questions. That was half my issue, I was getting 'bored' towards the end and nearly ended up making silly mistakes. I enjoyed studying this one (yes, I am weird) but I think I only appreciated just how many topics are covered when I sat the exam - there really is a lot to know and skimming over things won't suffice.

If you got a good handle on the 291 topics and used good resources for this one (what are you using btw?) and labbed up the various scenarios then you'll be in a good position. Just take your time.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The only suggestion I have is to study up, make sure you've covered everything, then try to relax the morning of the test. Get a good night's sleep, get up early and have a good breakfast, and try to get yourself in a calm frame of mind so that your nerves don't end up causing you to make mistakes or cloud your judgement. Just keep telling yourself "it's only a test", and since you have the Second Shot you're not completely lost even if you do have to retake it.

Good luck, we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Good luck, I took this a week or so ago and it really surprised me, it was difficult and IMO much harder than the 291.

The usual stuff applies, like chill out and relax and dont be put of if you get a long barrage of very long winded questions. That was half my issue, I was getting 'bored' towards the end and nearly ended up making silly mistakes. I enjoyed studying this one (yes, I am weird) but I think I only appreciated just how many topics are covered when I sat the exam - there really is a lot to know and skimming over things won't suffice.

If you got a good handle on the 291 topics and used good resources for this one (what are you using btw?) and labbed up the various scenarios then you'll be in a good position. Just take your time.

If it was much harder than the 291, then I really don't stand a chance. I wanted to go in regardless because I want to see what's on the test and because I have second shot.
    So far, it's just MS-Press book & Transcender questions as far as training materials.
    The only suggestion I have is to study up, make sure you've covered everything, then try to relax the morning of the test. Get a good night's sleep, get up early and have a good breakfast, and try to get yourself in a calm frame of mind so that your nerves don't end up causing you to make mistakes or cloud your judgement. Just keep telling yourself "it's only a test", and since you have the Second Shot you're not completely lost even if you do have to retake it.

Good luck, we'll all be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Yeah, getting a good night sleep for these is actually tough for me, because I work from 5pm-1am, and my normal sleeping pattern is from about 5am-3pm. So for me, this is kinda' like the equivalent of everyone else waking up at midnight to take a test. :/ However, it's nearly 7am where I'm at. I'm staying up late tonight, getting up early, to help me be tired tomorrow to help this weird sleeping pattern.

Thanx for the support everyone!
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    Welp. I failed. 646. Better than I thought I'd do. But honestly, the test didn't seem that hard, nor the questions that ambiguous. I just honestly felt like what I knew, I just knew, and what I didn't, I didn't. I'm feeling much more confident about it now, and I realize how poor the MS-Press book for this exam was.

Since I was so close, I picked up MCSE Core Required Exams in a Nutshell and have already started studying with that instead. I feel I can pass this next Friday at the moment, so we'll see...
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unlucky but you were close and you seem happier about it now, so good luck and I'm sure you'll get it next time.

Yes, the MS Press book is poor for this one.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about the fail. You were only a few questions away though!

You should consider picking up the Syngress book as well.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bummer, sorry to hear about your fail. This test is wickedly hard, so don't feel bad. I've failed it twice myself. I'm sure you'll get it next time.

+3 on the MS Press book being poor for this test.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I know misery loves company. So if it makes you feel better I failed last week with a 689. I don't know if I'm brave enough to reschedule another attempt for this week. But I'm sure you'll do fine now that you know what areas you are weak in.
  • Options
    Welp, past the retake today, scored 700 even. Not proud of the score, but I'll definitely take the pass. This test seemed way harder than the first time around even though I past this time. Whatever, glad to have this one done. I'm going to play with clustering a little bit more to make sure I understand it a bit better, but only briefly. On to the 298!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    M4verick wrote:
    Welp, past the retake today, scored 700 even. Not proud of the score, but I'll definitely take the pass. This test seemed way harder than the first time around even though I past this time. Whatever, glad to have this one done. I'm going to play with clustering a little bit more to make sure I understand it a bit better, but only briefly. On to the 298!

How many times did your Dr. take his exams to get certified/licensed and what score did he pass with? I understand how you feel, but a pass is a pass after all. You should be happy, it's a good achievement!
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Be glad you are done with this one. Netadmin can vouch for ya. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Be glad you are done with this one. Netadmin can vouch for ya. :)

Absolutely! I envy all those who've passed this one. This test is a dark cloud over my head, that's for sure. I've so busy with work and trying to finish my basement that I haven't had time to plot my revenge against the 293. This is our busy season at my work and I've been in Chicago 2 of the last 3 weeks. Ugh, I need to get back in gear and get this monkey off my back. Thanks for reminding me Mishra icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    Be glad you are done with this one. Netadmin can vouch for ya. :)

Absolutely! I envy all those who've passed this one. This test is a dark cloud over my head, that's for sure. I've so busy with work and trying to finish my basement that I haven't had time to plot my revenge against the 293. This is our busy season at my work and I've been in Chicago 2 of the last 3 weeks. Ugh, I need to get back in gear and get this monkey off my back. Thanks for reminding me Mishra icon_cry.gif

You could always say that with a smile. ;)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    You could always say that with a smile. ;)

....fine, here ya go :D
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been reading your expeditions with the 293 NetAdmin, I'm sure you'll get it next time around.