Options

Fire-suppression in our server room.

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
We are looking to purchase an electronics-friendly fire suppression device in our server room and I was wondering what suggestions anyone has. It's a small room and I was either looking for a hand-held device or something other than water. Perhaps a halon fire suppressor?

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Halon was banned in 1987 by the Montreal Protocol. You need to look for something that is based on FM-200. The size and contents of your datacenter also determine what is prudent. There should be local companies in your area that specialize in fire suppression systems.
  • Options
    m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    keep a small Cat C fire extinguisher in the room and keep the room air conditioned. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,052 Admin
    Oh geez, I gotta know this stuff for the CISSP exam. Halon was replaced by FE-13 and FM-200 (Gaseous Fire Suppression). Hand-held extinguishers must be located within 50 feet of a doorway. CO2 is preferred for areas with no human occupants. Fire classes in America are: Class A (paper/wood), B (liquids/gasses), C (electrical), D (metals), and K (kitchen oil/fat). Fire sprinkler systems (Dry pipe, wet pipe, deluge, pre-action, foam). The Fire Triangle.

What else?

And people actually purchase this stuff?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    JDMurray wrote:
    Oh geez, I gotta know this stuff for the CISSP exam. Halon was replaced by FE-13 and FM-200 (Gaseous Fire Suppression). Hand-held extinguishers must be located within 50 feet of a doorway. CO2 is preferred for areas with no human occupants. Fire classes in America are: Class A (paper/wood), B (liquids/gasses), C (electrical), D (metals), and K (kitchen oil/fat). Fire sprinkler systems (Dry pipe, wet pipe, deluge, pre-action, foam). The Fire Triangle.

What else?

And people actually purchase this stuff?

There is one sub class of fire that you forgot to mention. It falls under Alpha - Screaming Alpha to be exact.

If you can't figure it out, let me know. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,052 Admin
    phantasm wrote:
    There is one sub class of fire that you forgot to mention. It falls under Alpha - Screaming Alpha to be exact.
    "Screaming Alpha" is a fire suppression technique? It must be the predecessor of "stop, drop, and roll."
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    phantasm wrote:
    "Screaming Alpha" is a fire suppression technique? It must be the predecessor of "stop, drop, and roll."

It is if you then use their body to smother the rest of the flames.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    RTmarc wrote:
    Halon was banned in 1987 by the Montreal Protocol.
    It is only the manufacture of Halon that is banned in the protocol. There is (was?) still a huge amount of it already produced and in storage. Old systems were grandfathered in the ban so you still find it in quite a few datacenters. However, most places are changing them over to FM-200 or something similar because of the costs and issues involved with Halon.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    RTmarc wrote:
    It is only the manufacture of Halon that is banned in the protocol. There is (was?) still a huge amount of it already produced and in storage. Old systems were grandfathered in the ban so you still find it in quite a few datacenters. However, most places are changing them over to FM-200 or something similar because of the costs and issues involved with Halon.
    I believe companies were given until 1992 to replace their Halon systems with an alternative. You can be fined in a hurry if a Halon system is found in your environment today.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    RTmarc wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    RTmarc wrote:
    I believe companies were given until 1992 to replace their Halon systems with an alternative. You can be fined in a hurry if a Halon system is found in your environment today.
    In the US the old systems are still allowed. Its been banned in most European countries since 2003 for non critical systems however. No idea about anywhere else.
  • Options
    Well, there it is. I was under the impression its replacement was mandatory. I stand corrected.