Difficult info to get from Cisco re: CCNA-Voice

I've been on the phone talking to a Cisco representative. She told me I'd have to take only one test before moving to the CCVP, regardless of the time frame. I asked for a supervisor to get a more authoritative answer, and the sup I was just transferred to told me that come June, I'd have to take BOTH tests to get to CCVP! Here we go again. You'd think Cisco reps would have the hard answers; turns out the frontline automatons are surprisingly ignorant. Half have told me one thing, another half the other.

So - the final word from certifications is: come mid-June '09, one will have to take a *minimum* of SEVEN tests to become a CCVP (or eight if you don't take the CCNA composite exam) vs. a mere five for a CCNP or CCDP.

Seems like Cisco would want to make it more attractive to want to be a CCVP instead of throwing more roadblocks into the path of an already difficult-to-get cert.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Crunchy you have a valid CCNA you don't have to retake it!!! Take CCNA:Voice then start on the VP...that's 6 exams not 7 minus the one you already took so 5
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, you could always just not get certified if its too much work for you icon_wink.gif

I'm actually all for anything that can make the certifications harder to achieve. Less people will try for them and therefore there will be less certified people. It would be nice if they could go to a hands on lab to finish off a professional level track. Something smaller scale than the IE lab but something to verify you can put it all to practice.

We can all wish in one hand and crap in the other though. I'm sure you all know which will fill faster....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well, you could always just not get certified if its too much work for you icon_wink.gif

I'm actually all for anything that can make the certifications harder to achieve. Less people will try for them and therefore there will be less certified people. It would be nice if they could go to a hands on lab to finish off a professional level track. Something smaller scale than the IE lab but something to verify you can put it all to practice.

We can all wish in one hand and crap in the other though. I'm sure you all know which will fill faster....

I agree 100% with you networker...but i have to say crunchy we told you this before your CCNA was re-certified when you passed cvoice and from that day you have 3 years to fulfill the VP requirements to have your cvoice exam applied to that.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Crunchy, what part of all of this are you having such a problem with?

All the information is clearly laid out right here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le65/learning_certification_type_home.html

I've linked to this and answered similar questions in two to three other posts of yours, and I've seen Mike and others answer more.

Voice seems like a much more, diverse field than the all-purpose/more generalized CCNP. I think Cisco wants to ensure they have competent engineers more than they simply want to increase the number of CCVPs.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389

That's one positive that I've noticed, too. If you're willing to plod through all the studying and exams, you'll be that much more in demand when you achieve the goal. There just aren't that many of you out there.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Just pass it before june! simple. So you only have 4 exams until you're a vp