Options

Did i choose the wrong exam?

dd0sdd0s Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Browsing through the threads in this topic i noticed everyone talking about 70-216 and labelling it "The Beast" Which leads me to the conclusion that i chose the wrong exam to do as a first exam icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    KernelXPKernelXP Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say so, but others may disagree, I would have taken the 70-210 first.
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Probably the wrong one.

But, how much experience do you have, and what do you want to do?

Also, welcome to the forum, dd0s!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    I been in the industry for 5 years i thought its about time i get some certs and then get a new job :D
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    If you're looking at Sys Admin, I would reccomend the MCSA/MCSE track. You can get that info here>>> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.asp

That would be if you've been working with M$ products for a while, it should not be too difficult.

If you're thinking more along Networking, well Cisco, more the most part runs the networking world. You can find more information at www.cisco.com Cisco provides a lot of documentation on thier certs, and lots of free training material as well.

You have experience, now like Janmike said, figure out what you'd like to do, and study away!! If you're not quite sure which certs may be for you, here's a list of lists for the top certs, and some info for each as well. Any questions, ask here, someone will help the best they can. Good Luck!

http://www.certmag.com/articles/templates/cmag_feature.asp?articleid=487&zoneid=1
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Well, since you have the 5 years, I would encourage you to follow the MCSA track for 2003 server(although there are lots and lots of Windows 2000 systems left and will be around for some time to come). You can use either the 2000 Professional exam(70-210) or XP exam(70-270) for the client.

The trend will eventually turn to 2003 Server deployments and the ones with these certs and experience will most likely have the jobs that are produced. I think that M$ is already starting to slow down on revisions, or has maybe even stopped producing Windows 2000 exam study guides.

You may even want to pursue the MCSE.

Also, I would tend to agree with Ricka182 that Cisco is the direction to go with certs in networking--especially if you're already familiar with them.

Best of luck on your decision!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    Thanks for the steer in direction. Atm i am looking at going the whole hog and getting my MCSE and then after that going for a few cisco exmas although i havent looked into the cisco cert's at all i just went straight the MS ones for now.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds good. Just make sure you understand that it won't happen overnight. Preparing for 216 along can a couple of months. And that's if you already know a lot of the stuff. It's a long road but you can do it! And as far as Cisco, I started on them a month ago, be prepared for a whole different world when you get ready for em. Don't expect them to be repeats or anything like the microsoft exams.
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i wouldn't recommend that as a 1st exam from microsoft. even if you're experienced, you may want to get a feel for the MS style of questioning.