Developing IP Phone services?

hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Not part of the CCVP track, but I guess this is the next (undocumented) step, apart from CCIE voice.

Is anyone involved in this area? I'm looking at getting my feet wet and was wondering what kind of knowledge base you need to start making some headway.

I've started by trying to get an ldap search working, and keep running into roadblocks.

I've got the book and downloaded the SDK.

Comments

• LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    I have done some, READ that SDK book.. It will tell you alot and give you a good base.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Went through the book. Examples look easy. Some are. I'm working on custom LDAP searches. This stuff is harder than the book says. Been banging my head against the wall, on and off, for about a week now. Think I'm finally on the home stretch. Most of my issues were solved researching on the internet. How to access LDAP and the syntax to use. I'll know tomorrow if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    keep us updated on how it goes... ( when you say custom LDAP searches are you just doing custom query's or are you doing something really crazy?? just wondering)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    or are you doing something really crazy?? just wondering)

Back up the bus. You give me too much credit. At this point I'm just dipping my big toe in the pool to test the waters. I'm working on very basic functionality. I've completed phase 1 which consists of, in a lab:

1. Create custom menu for directories button on phone.

This custom menu adds site locations at the bottom of the list, in order to query names from that specific site.

2. Change pointer for directories button to my custom menu.

3. Add Microsoft IIS functionality to a machine, in order to run all this custom code.

4. Create and populate active directory.

5. Add code to perform ldap search on target machine.

6. Test functionality.

Now I've got to get this working for a second ldap server. This should be pretty easy, becauses there only needs to be some minor changes in the script to add this.

I got this working using primarly using 2 sources. Cisco web site, and the book. A large roadblock was getting the syntax correct to access the ldap server (not much experience on this front). I solved this by using a free ldap browser from the internet.

When I get a chance, I'm going to look into a way to NOT display users in AD that do not have a phone. I've got a temporary work around, but am not happy with my solution.