Options

Need advice for Network+ exam

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
Hi Folks,

I need your advice again icon_redface.gif , how in deph does Network+ go? Is Mike Meyers All-in-one 2nd edition and Transcenders enough to pass the exam? What are the best practice tests for the exam? Should I read a book then do the practice tests after? What is the best way to study for this exam? Will i need to know all the network speeds & cable lengths? For each type of network? Any advice from people who have passed would be greatly appreciated icon_wink.gif Does it only test basic network knowledge? Again like the A+ I don't know what to expect how hard how easy..... I found the A+ to be really easy... :D

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You're using the same I used to pass. I also used the Technotes from this site, which I thought were great to carry along. Whenever I got stuck in traffic, or had a few minutes or whatever, it certainly helped to have them handy. I felt Net+ was relatively easy, I had little prior experience, other than myself reading. I would say if thought A+ 2003 was easy, you should have no problem with Net+. As far as what to know, you should know all the Objectives , you may see a question for any one of them. Right now is a good time to takle Net+, because they are redoing it next year, with more difficult objectives. Take the time, you passed A+, you can pass Net+. Good Luck..

Here's a couple more sites to feed your brain.....

Study Notes

Flashcards
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice, hopefully I will be posting that I passed in about 2 weeks time icon_study.gif Just have to stay focused...

Thanks agin,

D-boy
  • Options
    kokopelikokopeli Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    D-boy wrote:
    What are the best practice tests for the exam?
    I found transcender to be really good, if you can get a high score on their questions you have no problems at all with the actual exam.
    D-boy wrote:
    Does it only test basic network knowledge?
    yeah, pretty much. I don't rememeber much about the exam itself because it was a while ago, but I think it just focussed on the OSI, and trouble shooting scenario's, such as an incorrect default gateway or subnet mask, just stuff like that .....

I would just relax and not worry too much, I found net+ to be my easiest cert so far. As Ricka182 said, if you found A+ easy you will have no drama with net+.

good luck, let us know how you go ..... :D
  • Options
    RqtballProRqtballPro Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Network+ exam today.
    I used LearnKey Network+ CD's, Exam Essentials practice exams, Self Test practice exams and the Technotes from this site.
    I don't have alot of actual hands on experience and I had trouble with the implementing and network support part of the test, but passing is passing. I got a 740/900.
  • Options
    cliffjagcliffjag Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratz RqtballPro
    RqtballPro Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm Post subject:

I passed the Network+ exam today

I passed Network+ last week on tuesday
    RqtballPro Posted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:14 pm Post subject:

I got a 740/900

I also got 740/900
    Alway try,never give up to easy.

Ok

Deal ,
  • Options
    Do they go deep into IP addresing and Subnetting? These subjects are French to me icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've been studying for about a month now and I have come to the conclusion that they pretty much want you to be able to identify Class A, B, and C addresses and be able to convert a Binary number to an IP address.

The transcender software I bought has a few questions on it regarding this. I have not ran into a questinn referring to Class D or E addressing, but I would memorize them anyways.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    D-boy wrote:
    Do they go deep into IP addresing and Subnetting? These subjects are French to me icon_cry.gif
    Actual 'subnetting', which means calculating subnets or number of hosts for a given range etc, is not a topic for the Network+ exam.

TeKniques mentioned the most important, I just wanted to add that you should be able to know the default subnet masks for a given IP (hence you need to know the class of that IP first), and the private address ranges.

If you read, understand, and memorize the contents of
    www.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/tcpipsuite.shtml
    you should be able to answer all related questions.
  • Options
    Thank you TeKniques & Webmaster for your advice. I will use both suggestions icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    And there is a trick to the Class A, B and C addresses as well.

Upper bit(s) of first octet:

0 (number is <12icon_cool.gif Class A
    10 (number is > or =128, less than 192) Class B
    110 (number is > 0r = 192) Class C.

Class A reserves 8 bits for network, so subnet is 255.0.0.0
    Class B reserves 16 bits, so it's 255.255.0.0
    Class C reservers 24 bits, 255.255.255.0

If you know binary it's really simple.

I'm sitting tomorrow. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, all the best for your exam. Let me know how it goes... icon_wink.gif