Options

CCNA voice lab help

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey ccvp gurus

I am making a CCNA voice lab...so this is what I have:

1760 with call manager and
2 7940 VoIP phones

I do not have and Voip switches but I have 2950 switches
can I use these for my Qos and make my phones work.

So I hook my home RJ11 ends coming from my telco
into the 1760 router and then both of my phones can be linked to
my 2950switch and then the switch trunk to my 1760 router in
say WIC that are made for voice in my 1760..
is that out the topology goes..And I know maybe I can use my 2950 I just need to
have power adapters for my phones right?

thanks

or maybe you can tell me a good cheap sort of Voip lab
what else do I need. The 1760 has voice slots but I dont know what
klind of cards I need not sure if my topology will be right to practice my Voip

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    you need a FXO card to plug your phone line into.
    See

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b53c7.shtml

the switch plugs into fa port of the router, but 2950s don't support POE. So i would suggest purchasing a POE sw (they're pretty expensive).

2950s support qos, just use the "auto qos voip cisco-phone" function ( you may need to upgrade your ios)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCNA:Voice exam seems to be all about the UC500, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, and Cisco Unity Express.

Even though I have a CCVP and a full home CCIE Voice Lab, I'd still probably get a UC500 series voice router before I attempt this exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    hey thank you guys..appreciate your advice....yeah I am building my CCVP lab
    okay it is going go to be my CCNA voice lab.....but it is what I need to manage
    voice systems at a new job ;)

Lord bless me ;)

robert
  • Options
    https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/community/certifications/voice_ccna/iiuc?view=overview

yeah i guess i should read the objectives huh mike!

but do you think my 1760 router is useless in my voip system at home? it has the voice slots
    and well isnt 1760s or can be used for Voip? and then you install Call manager on it?
    then i could use say my 2950s in my setup to the phones? and get adapter for the phones
    inplace of POE

or should i just go with the UC500 and 2 voip phones?

can you mike give me a topology for my Voip at home?

my example would be UC500 with 2 Voip phones so the UC500 has the switch built in I guess
    and then you have Call manager on the UC500 I expect and the hook my POTS into the UC500?
    rj11 type and then i can have a voip home systems..?

thanks
    i am not rich yet so what would be the most economical and man what price are a used UC500?
    I cannot find a price anywhere/ and do I need 3550 switch? or not for CCNA voice?
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdaddy wrote:

but do you think my 1760 router is useless in my voip system at home? it has the voice slots
    and well isnt 1760s or can be used for Voip? and then you install Call manager on it?
    then i could use say my 2950s in my setup to the phones? and get adapter for the phones
    inplace of POE

or should i just go with the UC500 and 2 voip phones?
    You can use the 1760 as a lab voice router. It’ll run CME (up to 4.0 I think). You’ll just need to max out the RAM and FLASH and will probably want to add a PVDM for DSP resources and some FXO and FXS cards (as mentioned earlier). Keep in mind that it’ll take forever to boot (like 6 minutes). Most of the CLI stuff is the same between the UC500 and CME. The question is, will Cisco be testing on the Cisco Configuration Assistant GUI that comes with the UCs? I know they seem to be pushing it. You’ll also need to know some form of Unity Express it looks like (either via the UC, or CME+CUE).

I picked up an 8-user UC520 for my lab. It was good excuse to get it now for studies, and use it later to replace my current VPN setup and phone system @ home :D
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    thanks alot pitviper sounds great yeah getting my CCNA voice lab ready
    going work CCNA voice with my BSCI studies
    kind of nutz but think that is the best route thank you for your help
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hows your setup goin? i was thinking of going trying to put CME on some 2600XM's. I thin it will run CME but i don't know what version's does it matter what version of CME is used or Cert purposes?

on the CCNA voice CBT's Jeremy says to get a 2800 for like $1000+ i was like pffffffft whatever.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think any 2800 series is damn overkill.

I mean, at work we have a 2610XM serving as a Voice Gateway at a remote site, and we have a 3640 locally, all plumbed into our CCM4 implementation...

Though, I picked up the BSCI Lab Portfolio last week, and they wrote the labs for FOUR 2800's...

Nice if you have the money to fork out, but at the end of the day, you don't need to worry about the routers, it's the IOS and their specific feature sets are what matter...

I.E. I've setup 4 x 2611XM's in GNS3, and the IOS i'm using is actually above that recommended in the book - so I should be able to do everything I need to for BSCI.
  • Options
    1760s work great i talk with jeremy about this; yeah they are overkill 2800 my god more than 1,000.00

It really sucks I talk to Jeremy C. about this and i mentioned to him to give
    us options for home labs thatwill notkill ourbudgets; i mean it is getting to be a $$$$ racket
    CBTs and hey by this equipment holy crap and the in 2 years it is toast! sucks!
    but yeah 1760s are just as good he said yeah 2800 ideal for a guy who thinks 1000 is poker money! icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I.E. I've setup 4 x 2611XM's in GNS3, and the IOS i'm using is actually above that recommended in the book - so I should be able to do everything I need to for BSCI.

gorebrush

doesnt 4 router bog your GNS3 down? I amrunning it on my laptop duo core AMD
    stripped down XP pro sp2 and 2GB of ram and man still runs like crap it locks up once in a while and the router bootups take forver even withthe recommend IDLE numbers??

what are you running GNS3 on? can i ask? and can you send me your IDLE numbers
    so i can try them out?
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how do the 1760's compare to like 2611xm?? i know the 2600 can take more memory but the 1760's are cheaper. so im thinking 1 of each i already have a 3548 which i have yet to find if i can use. What im tying to do is find something i can use for the CCNA voice and CCNP .

Im also trying to figure out whats the difference between CCM and CME, then theres the UC500 thats suppose to be like an all in one thing.

Im only 1 week into this so im very newbish, lol icon_scratch.gif

im gonna hit up those FAQs up top when i get home.
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote:

gorebrush

doesnt 4 router bog your GNS3 down? I amrunning it on my laptop duo core AMD
    stripped down XP pro sp2 and 2GB of ram and man still runs like crap it locks up once in a while and the router bootups take forver even withthe recommend IDLE numbers??

what are you running GNS3 on? can i ask? and can you send me your IDLE numbers
    so i can try them out?

Yes it does bog it down until I get proper IDLE PC figures in there. After that it idles around 50% - which is still a lot of usage.

I am running: -

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.466GHz
    8GB PC8500 RAM @ 1000MHz
    Windows Vista X64 SP1 Ultimate

I'll fish out my IDLE PC's for you next time I fire it up.

I'm hoping that there are better IDLE's actually, because at one point I did get one single router down to 7% ish
  • Options
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.466GHz
    8GB PC8500 RAM @ 1000MHz
    Windows Vista X64 SP1 Ultimate

holy crap gorebrush wow!

two quad core cpus??? wow and *GB of ram and you get 50% cpu util??
    How many routers are you running and is that just routers? or switches too?
    and are you telnet session up as well as the routers being on I assume.

so you run 64 bit ultimate huh vista i have that version and it is the legal copy
    wink wink haah but and my laptop is 64 bit I guess i shoudl run it in that environmen
    to make use of the 64 bit technology huh?

Check this out..today on my duo core amd system with 2GB of ram
    i got my CPU down to like 2 to 4 % but here is the catch i had to
    keep run the IDLE PC check on all the routers until I got the right mix again
    of numbers for the IDLE PC calc then. I have heaard people say 'Oh i just do it one
    time not me I have to do it a few times say I am running 4 to 6 routers and 2 switches
    I have to keep runnngthe IDLE PC calc 3 to 4 times maybe on each router then
    it settles down I have tried to save this and no avail. I even save my configs and they
    save but not MY IDLE pc CONFIGs they save but have to recalc each time i bringup
    my lab what am i doing wrong?
    I am considering a duo quad core system with 8GB of ram how many routers can i excpect
    to run GoreBrush and to what CPU utilzation? just curious can you give me any
    tips on what kind of specs you recommend after purchasing your huge (normal machine) server

I appreciate your help
    thanks man!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You guys are doing something horribly wrong if you are getting that high utilization on hardware like that.

I'd suggest you do some reading at the 7200emu forums for some suggestions or ideas on what you are doing wrong.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I've only really been tinkering with GNS.

I have yet to sit down and properly configure it.

@ itdaddy - Core 2 Quad is just the name of the architecture.

I have 1 x Quad Core CPU.

When i'm done setting it up, it should chew through GNS with little difficulty.

I love having a powerful Quad and 8GB RAM.

When I sat my Exchange 2007 TS exam, my lab consisted of two entire seperate forests with 3-4-5 servers on each forest.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm tasty.