IP addressing

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
I plan to take the Network+ exam in 2 weeks, but the only thing I don't down have down is IP addressing icon_redface.gif I can't get my head around it icon_mad.gif What does it mean when they say the Power of 2? I think i am thinking to much into it and not getting the point icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• zoomanzooman Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am not sure what you mean by power of 2. At least it doesn't ring a bell.

When you say IP addressing do you mean subnetting? There is free lecture titled learning to subnet at learntosubnet.com

I took the exam a few weeks back and I didn't have many IP questions.
    I honestly felt the A+ was more difficult than the Network +

http:\\learntosubnet.com

Zooman
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    It's ok! :D I understand now, I found a good site posted by "Cross" which is http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6287

Thanks to Webmaster for putting such a good site together! bowing.gif

I should of done some research before posting for help icon_redface.gif
    zooman wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean by power of 2. At least it doesn't ring a bell.

When you say IP addressing do you mean subnetting? There is free lecture titled learning to subnet at learntosubnet.com

I took the exam a few weeks back and I didn't have many IP questions.
    I honestly felt the A+ was more difficult than the Network +

http:\\learntosubnet.com

Zooman

Thank you for responding so fast, but I did some research and found a good resource... Thanks for the link too...

Really i thought A+ was really easy, maybe I am worrying too much about Network+, Plan to take it in 2 weeks I have been stduying for about half a week....
  • zoomanzooman Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most people here seem to enjoy helping out. There really are no stupid questions. This site is a powerful resource. Why waste time GOOGLING it when you have peolpe here who support you?

Zooman
    Yeah that's what it's all about, the best way to learn... icon_wink.gif Thanks again....
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Take a crash course in binary math. It's quite helpful in subnetting (not big on Net+)... you'd be amazed to find how much stuff is bit-oriented, and that is where binary fits in.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
    I dont have a problem with working out Binary into an IP address, so i'm all set with that. Does Network+ expect you to be able to work out a Subnet Mask from an IP address? My understanding with IP addresses to a Subnetmask is as long as I know the differnet Classes I'm all set am I right? If I know the IP class ranges then I know what subnet mask the IP addres falls in. But then how do I work out the exact Subnet mask for that ip address? Man I got IP addresing down but Subneting is not sinking in for me.....
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The N+ will only ask you the classes of IP addresses.

Class A- 1-126 255.0.0.0
    Class B- 128-191 255.255.0.0
    Class C- 192-223 255.255.255.0

Loopback address 127.0.0.1 <----NEVER USED!!! Only for diagnostic purposes. icon_study.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I received very few, I think two or three questions on IP. They were relatively easy, looking for classes of IP ranges etc. I think Net+ is easier than A+.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • jmerljmerl Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe the Network + only works with the default classes of subnetting ... A,B,and C so you should have a handle on what you need to know.

There are some free subnetting calculators on the net ... just google for it. They will help you understand more advanced subbnetting and working with CIDR ...
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I only recieved the simple "What is a class A subnet" You can wait unitll the CCNA to see real subnetting questions.