Passed!

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
Hey guys, first post. Passed my Network+ today, 720. A lot of questions I never saw on any of my study material, like where do you change the network settings on a OS X server? Wow! the technotes on this site were real valuable, thanks guys!

Anyway, passed and now I'm onto my trying to decide on my next cert., MCDST or MCSA. I'm a Desktop tech so I think the MCDST would be more applicable now but, I think the MCSA would help me get into Server administration.

Any thoughts?

icon_cool.gif
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

The next exam is up to you. Which area do you want to work? Getting the job depends on your personality and skills and not just the certifications/credentials one can flash. Do you have the ability to be a Sys Admin today?

It will also depend on the organization and how many people they want on staff. So a Sys Admin may be the person who contacts a consulting firm to assist on bigger problems, while they handle basic system problems that occur. Some companies this means you must handle everything with very little outside assistance. Others this may mean you are part of a team of people.

So you may wish to go for the MSCA exams, or you may wish to add Sec+, Server+ or even Project+ depending on how you see yourself being useful to an employer or clients.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Thanks bro!

Well, no, I couldn't be a Sys Admin today but in a short time I know I could. I just need some hands on experience and I would do just fine.

However, looking at my MCDST book I realize I already know the answers to 90%+ of the questions being that I have over a year of Desktop exp. in an Enterprise environment and I am freshly certified in Network+ and A+. So I'm gonna go get that since it will help me right now. :)

You mention Server+, would that be more worth my time then the MCSA 2003?
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    genXrcist wrote:
    Anyway, passed and now I'm onto my trying to decide on my next cert., MCDST or MCSA. I'm a Desktop tech so I think the MCDST would be more applicable now but, I think the MCSA would help me get into Server administration.

Any thoughts?

icon_cool.gif

I would say MCSA to be more complete and marketable.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Go for you MCSA then.

Use your NET+ and A+ as an elective.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Congrats genX,
    I am going the same route. I take my network+ in a week and then onto the MCSA. From there, the 70-528 and 70-536 and powershell! What part of Minnesota are you from?
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • pngumopngumo Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    genXrcist wrote:
    Hey guys, first post. Passed my Network+ today, 720. A lot of questions I never saw on any of my study material, like where do you change the network settings on a OS X server? Wow! the technotes on this site were real valuable, thanks guys!

Any thoughts?

icon_cool.gif
    I took my Network + exam yesterday passed 675 the technotes were helfull looking forward for a wireless world (CWNA) thanks for the help guyz!!!
    Congrats genX,
    I am going the same route. I take my network+ in a week and then onto the MCSA. From there, the 70-528 and 70-536 and powershell! What part of Minnesota are you from?

Thanks bro! I'm in St. Cloud here, where 'bouts are you from?

Btw, I am scheduled for my 70-271 on 11/06 & 70-272 on 11/07!!! I'll post tomorrow my results.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and welcome to the forum. :D

I definitely think that the MCSA is a better choice. It's more widely-recognized than MCDST, it's a gateway to MCSE, and even helpdesk jobs ask for the MCSA/MCSE in some cases. Good luck with your studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    genXrcist wrote:
    Congrats genX,

Thanks bro! I'm in St. Cloud here, where 'bouts are you from?

Btw, I am scheduled for my 70-271 on 11/06 & 70-272 on 11/07!!! I'll post tomorrow my results.

Nice, I'm in Fargo,ND ...about an 2 hours away. Yeah, I am going for the 70-290 and work towards my MCSE(I guess not a lot of jobs for MCSA). After that I'm going for my 70-536 and 70-528 for .net developing. My plan is to run my own servers and website applications. Good luck to you!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
    Morning!

Ok, I must be studying too hard because I live in St Paul, not St Cloud. *Sigh* The good news is I passed the 70-271 this morning with a 799. :) Tomorrow morning is the 70-272.

No disrespect intended to anyone but I decided to get my MCDST now as opposed to the MCSA cuz I just got laid off Oct 31st so I needed something that would help me now as opposed to the future. That and I figured I it would be easy.

Let me just say, the 70-271 was anything but. I had probably 30% on permissions alone and a lot of those questions were not simple cut & dry questions. Honestly, in all the years experience I've had in IT support, I can honestly say the issues I've fixed were nothing like the exam. I'll be glad to have the cert but application wise it's doing nothing for me.

My hope is the MCSA/MCSE are not the same?
    Thoughts?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    genXrcist wrote:
    My hope is the MCSA/MCSE are not the same?

Not at all. The questions are much more difficult and convoluted! icon_lol.gif

I'm glad to hear you're not really from St. Cloud ;)

Congratulations on the pass and good luck with the next one!
  • gervaischevaliergervaischevalier Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass, and welcome to the forum. :D

I definitely think that the MCSA is a better choice. It's more widely-recognized than MCDST, it's a gateway to MCSE, and even helpdesk jobs ask for the MCSA/MCSE in some cases. Good luck with your studies.

I thought they got rid of MCSA/MCSE? Isn't it MCITP now?
    For the 2008 track. 2003 is still popular.
  • someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Congrads on the pass
  • gervaischevaliergervaischevalier Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    For the 2008 track. 2003 is still popular.

Oh, well im in a program for 2008 certs, is this the wrong move?
    Not necessarily. When is your expected completion? 2003 will be the dominant platform for quite awhile, and the new branding doesn't have the recognition of the MCSE yet either. However, 2008 becomes more popular with each passing day, and a lot of what you learn will be applicable to 2003. If you're just starting out, I think you should stick with it. You can always go back and look over some 2003 material if you find yourself in a position where you'll be working with it.
    dynamik wrote:
    Not necessarily. When is your expected completion? 2003 will be the dominant platform for quite awhile, and the new branding doesn't have the recognition of the MCSE yet either. However, 2008 becomes more popular with each passing day, and a lot of what you learn will be applicable to 2003. If you're just starting out, I think you should stick with it. You can always go back and look over some 2003 material if you find yourself in a position where you'll be working with it.

ditto

recommended goal:
    Take exams on the material you work with and then take exams for material you will work with or want to work with.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Thomas ramalepeThomas ramalepe Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eh guys ,are this exams for free or we pay for them?
  • BigPoppaRPBigPoppaRP Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eh guys ,are this exams for free or we pay for them?

You have to pay for the exams. ~$239 for network+

Good luck.