Signs pointing me to Network+

lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
Last year when I finished A+ I thought I would head straight into Network+ for my next cert. I have the Sybex text, started reading it and it didnt make much sense so I put it down.

A couple months later I started a contract position that I have stayed at since (Thanks JACEV1!) and it was my first real experience in a live networked environment. Seeing what goes on as well as troubleshooting and talking to the WAN Admin is something I have found pretty interesting. I had set up my own peer-to-peer some time ago but this is quite a bit different.

So for kicks I took the quiz here online the other day and scored 65%. I tried a friend's Transcender and scored 683/900, where passing is 700. I went in cold on these and know nothing really about the OSI model. I'm thinking 2 weeks of reading the textbook and I should have this exam in the bag and another step closer to MCSA.

Then I look on getcertify4less.com and the early expiry voucher is there for $139 which expires 12/2004. I was planning on 70-290 next, but something is telling me to hit N+ first... ;)
I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.

Comments

• jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    Go for it!

I took mine after studying for a few months on and off & I found it very easy. I think if you study hard for about 2 weeks, you should pass. BTW, use the Transcenders, they're the best for Net+!

PS- I have a Sybex CBT for Net+ that you can borrow if you want it.
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would go for Net+ now, before they change the objectives in 2005. I've heard the newer objectives are much more difficult, and are to take the "easy" tag away from Net+. I used Mike Myers AIO guide, and read through the Sybex book a bit. I also used the Transcender, and was scoring around 850 before I sat the exam.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Definitely go for it because its fun!
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree about taking the Net+. I have learned a lot from studying the past 2 weeks and I feel as if I'm almost ready to take this test. Plus, it's nice to have the elective for the MCSA.
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    jacev1 wrote:
    Go for it!

I took mine after studying for a few months on and off & I found it very easy. I think if you study hard for about 2 weeks, you should pass. BTW, use the Transcenders, they're the best for Net+!

Is that the one that comes with the book? Mine is still sealed...
  • jacev1jacev1 Member Posts: 107
    lazyart wrote:
    jacev1 wrote:
    Go for it!

Is that the one that comes with the book? Mine is still sealed...

No, it's not the one that comes with the book. I have one that I purchased last year online. I don't remember where but Barnes & Noble sells it also, check it out here:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?sourceid=00401251087939372176&ISBN=0782150187&bfdate=09-22-2004+21:41:25.[/url]
    Wars not make one great. Coffee makes one Great!
    - Master Yoda
  • amystriamystri Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Learning in a work environment like you did is a lot different then just reading and taking the tests with NO real experience at all. I say study for a week or so and you will be just fine... icon_cool.gif
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    It's my personal opinion that the CCNA supersedes the Net+, so if you're planning on going for it, then I honestly wouldn't bother unless you just want to waste 150+ bucks on resume filler. If you do not plan to pursue the CCNA, then definetly go for it
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would do it now before the objectives are changed, its an elective toward MCSA w/ your A+, its easy and it cannot HURT you..
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    It's my personal opinion that the CCNA supersedes the Net+, so if you're planning on going for it, then I honestly wouldn't bother unless you just want to waste 150+ bucks on resume filler. If you do not plan to pursue the CCNA, then definetly go for it

You may have not noticed that "lazyart" already has the A+ and MCP (70-270) and indicates work towards MCSA. An A+ & Network+ combination counts as 1 elective exam towards towards the MCSA, whereas the CCNA is a different track altogether and wouldn't count towards the MCSA.

So, if lazyart is aiming for an MCSA, then Network+ (combined with A+) is definitely a good way to go.

Ummm wouldn't obtaining the Network+ prepare you better for the CCNA?

And like Mwgood said, the elective towards the MCSA track would be worth the $150 imo.
    Net+ fits into my current path quite nicely. CCNA, while I have glanced at it, wouldnt show up on my resume before MCSE does, if at all.

Anyhow, I just bought the voucher. I'm thinking 10/7 will be my day.
    So, what happened today...

As the guy was setting up the machine I started scribbling down my notes. OSI layers and which devices are on the lower three. Class A, B and C address ranges and subnets. Finally, all the ports I could think of.. 21, 23, 25, 53, 69, 80, 110, 123, 443. There were a couple I couldnt recall, but that's ok. Turns out there weren't any I needed that I hadn't written down.

I ended up using most of that info. I marked 14 Q's for review. I figured of the 58 I didn't have trouble with I should get at least 80% right, and 50% of what I marked.

I submit my answers (skipped the survey... wanted to see my score) and then the pause. 3 seconds or 3 minutes.. wasn't sure which is was before the results came back.

820/900.

Time to update the resume. :) As usual-- great site, awesome technotes. Another pass for Johan.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Congrats! Glad to hear it, I'm also studying up on my 70-290. icon_thumright.gif
    Awesome job. I have my test Friday the 15th :D

Good luck on pursuing your MCSA.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • WilByteWilByte Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_cheers.gif Congratulations! ( I like the 3 second pause story-I could feel the tension)
    "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats, lazyart! Great score!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki