My work is so cheap

kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
We are finally gettiong VOIP phones to replace our cubicle phones I guess to save on the telco cost for the PBX, well at least the control room and equipment rooms are getting phones. The people in the cubes have to use a program on our laptops so now we have to wear this head set all day to see if anybody call us. WTF just buy more phones and put it in our cubes icon_evil.gif . Thats my rant
Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Pretend to be Madonna IMO. Pointy bra optional.

Is the program actually the proper one for that PABX or it just a generic SIP client? I investigated the software phones for the Nortel system at work to be used by people who were travelling. The price difference between the cheapest VoIP handset and the softphone package (headset, software and license) wasn't very much.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    tiersten wrote:
    Pretend to be Madonna IMO. Pointy bra optional.

+1
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are going to use the soft clients make sure you (or who ever is running it) have your QoS set up correctly or there will be a lot of headaches. A lot of people just set up the client for markings and then it is overwritten by the switch or PC. We do not even support voice quality on soft clients at all. Especially when they try to VPN from home and wonder why the voice is choppy icon_mad.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Now whenever I look at my co-worker all I'm going to imagine is Madonna singing with that head set and pointy bra thanks lol.

We have a conference call tomorrow to discuss this. I still don't know why we are doing this. The office only houses 6 employees, we still need to receive and make outside calls although I don't know how many Ts we have going to PBX from PSTN, most inter-office calls go over our backbone, I doubt we are getting a call manager or express for this office and our IT staff isn't the brightest with Cisco equipment so I expect a lot of QOS issues such as choppy audio or delay. I wonder what the call set up time is like. I don't know if we are getting rid of the PBX or just doing some type of add on to support VOIP. Does anybody else's work have the philosophy of spend a dime to save a nickel. One last question with this soft phone can I do call forwarding? Thanks
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    You guys should look into www.switchvox.com its an IP PBX based on Asterisk open source software. We used it at my last company, it works wonderful can do IVRs, phone queues, conference rooms, etc... If you guys decide to go down the phone path. Not too expensive either, if you already have the T1's in place. Their tech support is great too. We used to outsource our phones but with this we brought it all in-house and its great.

win2k8
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    kryolla wrote:
    Now whenever I look at my co-worker all I'm going to imagine is Madonna singing with that head set and pointy bra thanks lol.

We have a conference call tomorrow to discuss this. I still don't know why we are doing this. The office only houses 6 employees, we still need to receive and make outside calls although I don't know how many Ts we have going to PBX from PSTN, most inter-office calls go over our backbone, I doubt we are getting a call manager or express for this office and our IT staff isn't the brightest with Cisco equipment so I expect a lot of QOS issues such as choppy audio or delay. I wonder what the call set up time is like. I don't know if we are getting rid of the PBX or just doing some type of add on to support VOIP. Does anybody else's work have the philosophy of spend a dime to save a nickel. One last question with this soft phone can I do call forwarding? Thanks

You should be able to do call forwarding with the soft phone. I haven't come across one that doesn't support it but that doesn't mean there's not one out there.

I actually use an X-lite client on my computer at work so I don't have to take off my headphones (from listening to music) to make a phone call. It is a lso nice to be able to capture everything in Wireshark. I do not manage our LAN though so the quality is not the best. I gave up on our LAN support when the scoured our whole network looking why computers were getting 169 default MS IP addresses icon_rolleyes.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Thanks everyone we are going to get rid of our PBX and all call routing is to be replaced by the call manager in Central Regoin. The POTS through the PSTN will still remain in place just all lines coming from PBX is going. Also I mentioned since we have no POTS line for VOIP coming out of this office how is 911 going to work. Their reply was we are still working on it be in the mean time use your cell phone. WTF