Options

CCENT or N+

GowharGowhar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anybody help me. I don't want to build career in networking but still I think knowlege of networking is essential for working in corporate enviorments. So which certification is better CCENT or N+....both in terms of basic knowledge and market value.

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCENT is a Cisco Certification. The Network + is vendor neutral. If you aren't going to be FOCUSING on network but just want some basic networking knowledge then the Network+ may be the way to go, however that exam is pricey compared to the Cisco Cert. A CCNA will cover everything in the Network+ and then some, and will be more respected than either of the two you are looking at right now.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will get more immediate recognition from the CompTIA Network+ due to it being more established. Cisco CCENT certification is only 1 year old as of last week and does not have as much marketability at the moment because it is not widely known. If someone actually reads the resume rather than performed automated resume screenings for keywords, then you will get recognition from the Cisco name.

I would recommend completing both as they cover different sets of objects that compliment each other. CompTIA Network+ will give you great foundational information and Cisco CCENT will let you learn networking the Cisco way. ;)
  • Options
    GowharGowhar Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mamono wrote:
    You will get more immediate recognition from the CompTIA Network+ due to it being more established. Cisco CCENT certification is only 1 year old as of last week and does not have as much marketability at the moment because it is not widely known. If someone actually reads the resume rather than performed automated resume screenings for keywords, then you will get recognition from the Cisco name.

I would recommend completing both as they cover different sets of objects that compliment each other. CompTIA Network+ will give you great foundational information and Cisco CCENT will let you learn networking the Cisco way. ;)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mamono wrote:

I'll second this, but with a little bit of a twist. I'd recommend you go for Network+ to start, since it covers "a little bit of everything", and you'll be studying everything from TCP/IP to IPX/SPX, as well as how to configure network settings on a variety of systems. As my old networking teacher used to say, "the Network+ is an entry-level, vendor-neutral exam. What does that mean? It means that you can walk up to any command-line interface on any operating system or device and have a basic idea of what you're doing and how to look up how to do it."

If you feel like you want to pursue a little bit more hands-on work with Cisco devices after that, which is not a bad idea for learning even general networking concepts, then pursue the CCENT as well. But as mamono said, the Network+ is more widely-recognized and gives you networking knowledge from a wider perspective than the Cisco-specific exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Go for the CCENT, at least where I live it is much more respected then the N+.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you go for ccent you should ultimately be aiming at ccna. the ccna is highly regarded out of the 3 mentioned.

you say your not into networking, so what are you aiming for? if its like a sys admin then a ccna goes well with mcse etc
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd go for the CCENT for two reasons. First, it will give you the basic foundation plus some vendor specific stuff. Second, if you find you like it then you only have one more exam to get your CCNA. Given time the CCENT will begin to take off. I had an interview today and I explained I was Cisco certified and that I could do x, y, and z.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff