Options

Another one bites the dust...

amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
Passed with 980 this time. 30 questions, 4 sims, very straightforward. Not as easy as 620, easier than 270, all in all a nice experience for the first server exam.

Time to get ready to slay the beast. icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congratulations for passing!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    ZerubbZerubb Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Way to go! I'm currently studying for 290. thanks for the info regarding the difficulty of the test.
  • Options
    J-DubsJ-Dubs Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    980, that's dang near perfect! Congratulations on passing and the score! I would agree that it was easier than 270 because it was a much narrower scope.

-J
    True wisdom exists in knowing that you know nothing
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Congrats amp2030 :) . That's the best score I've seen for the 290!! How did you study and what material did you use?
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    Thanks, all! icon_cool.gif

I used MS Press and CBT Nuggets. I found MS Press kind of dry and the Nuggets kind of goofy, but they complemented each other quite well for this test. For practice I set up a VMware lab of two servers (one DC one member server) and one XP client. I think one server and one client would have been enough. And for practice exams, as usual, I found the ones that came with MS Press spot-on, when it comes to difficulty.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    EXCELLENT SCORE!!!!!!! I hope to do as good. Thanks for the headup on the MS material. A lot of people have commented on other threads as well as to how the MS books help which they should. I will pick this one up as well, although with Testout ( that has sims), CBTNuggets (James Conrad), TechExams material, and ExamCram2, I figure that would suffice. I will be setting up VM sessions as well, like you have.

In the MS book, how are the labs structured? Good luck on the beast!
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    motogpman wrote:
    In the MS book, how are the labs structured? Good luck on the beast!

I really don't like following book labs, I mean, they feel very cookie-cutter. They do have plenty of them in the MS Press, though: each big chapter has one or two where they take you step by step through it. The problem is, they give too much detail, and it feels like you might as well just read what they say the result is.

I prefer making my own labs, that is, make stuff up, that uses the material I just learned, and try to apply it. It pretty much all amounts to playing around and what-if scenarios: it's really like LEGO. You can follow the instructions and build the machine illustrated on the box, or you could get pieces together from many sets and build your own stuff.
  • Options
    titantektitantek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and very good and accurate analogy.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Nice score and congrats.

Whats next for you
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    ULWiz wrote:
    Nice score and congrats.

Whats next for you

Next on my list - 291. I plan to give it about a month of full-time study. I'd really like to take it before the year ends so I can make use of the Second Shot voucher, but I won't hurry it either. I skimmed over the MS Press book though and a month looks enough.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Cool, thaks for the input! I guess I will stick with my home lab and the Testout sim since I have the second shot offer, hopefully I won't have to use though. Dec. 4th is my test date, this month is already flying by..... icon_confused.gif
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Honky007Honky007 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fantastic score!! Congrats mate, you nailed it!