ITIL v2 Service Managers course

Yaya4thabaniYaya4thabani Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I am from SA and i just passed my ITIL v2 foundation exam. I will be doing the ITIL v2 Service Managers course next month. Has anyone written these exams and passed? i need the study material, past exam papers, or anything relevant to prepare myself before attending the course. I do not mind buying the books, but i need to know which ones to buy. Or is there a website where i can locate this info? Please help................

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hi all.

Greetings and welcome to the board.
    I am from SA and i just passed my ITIL v2 foundation exam. I will be doing the ITIL v2 Service Managers course next month.

Two things here:

1) Why are you doing v2 when v3 has been out for well over a year? You're in the process of earning credentials that are soon to be very useless.

2) I don't know you or your prior history/knowledge of ITIL, but this flow of training and exam taking isn't realistic. I took my manager's class well after completing foundation (as well as a few practitioner level classes in between). I rate your chances of success at near zero when moving from foundation to manager that quickly.
    Has anyone written these exams and passed?

I have, as well as the corresponding exams for v3. Perhaps 1 or 2 others on here have as well. Everyone will say the exams are very challenging; the failure rate is astronomical.
    i need the study material, past exam papers, or anything relevant to prepare myself before attending the course.

This site and its members are profoundly against providing things like past exam papers, lists of questions and answers, etc.. Although you will find strong disagreement and spirited debate about many topics on this site, our stance against cheating and cheaters is universal.

We're here for the knowledge, and our application of that knowledge. We're better than those that ****.

Some of the other items that you've requested you should receive as part of your training.
    I do not mind buying the books, but i need to know which ones to buy. Or is there a website where i can locate this info?

Well thank heavens you don't mind buying copyrighted material!

Not to be harsh, but this statement more than anything tells me that you're not ready for the manager's classes and exam. Did you also not know that to be eligible for the manager's exam that 5 years of verifiable IT Service Management experience is required?

The books that are covered in the manager's classes and exams are available here:

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Publications/Core.asp

You will need the v2 Service Support and Service Delivery books.

Most service manager candidates not only know what books to buy, they've been applying the information in those books for 5+ years....

MS
  • Yaya4thabaniYaya4thabani Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Thanks a lot for your response. It has made me realise that I am not ready to write the ITIL v2 Service Managers exam. I have liaised with a consultant from Pink Elephant and she highlighted to me the importance of knowing and understanding your processes and procedures before attempting to write any ITIL exam. So I will be doing my ITIL v3 Foundation bridge course, then do the ITIL v3 Intermediate: Service Strategy and work my way to the top from there.

Yaya4thabani wrote
    I need the study material, past exam papers, or anything relevant to prepare myself before attending the course
    When I said I needed past exam papers, I meant past exam papers not current. I needed them to use as my practise exam, to prepare myself before attending the course, not to copy from.
    I wish you the best in your pursuit. It's tough, but rewarding.

btw, whether they are past or current test papers they are still protected by copyright and non-disclosure agreements.

The exams are not returned to the test taker upon completion of the exam, so it's unlikely that anyone has these anyway.

Also, in my experience it wouldn't have helped if I had had the exam questions and all of the answers prior to my test. The test is designed in such a way that most people fail it, and those that pass it rarely have time to answer every question on the exam. Since the exams are so subjectively marked, it would be possible for two people to provide roughly the same answers and end up with very different scores.

Again, best of luck to you...

MS
  • ITILTRAINITILTRAIN Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trust me as an accredited ATO having trained hundreds in Service Manager you cannot pass these exams (there are 2) without having practical experience and a sound understanding of IT Service management. If you don't have that save your money
  • Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Yaya,

Although the V2 Service Manager followed by the V3 Manager Bridge is currently the only route to V3 Expert, (soon to change), I would concur with MS and suggest that you follow the current version path.

From reading your response it looks like you plan to go back to the start of V3 (and do the V2 to V3 foundation bridge) and work from there. An excellent decision. You would do well then, to find somewhere to build experience. I'm not sure if you are working in an IT Service function or organisation, but if you can, it will help you make sense of what the ITIL books are trying to convey.

Good luck.
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    Yaya,

Although the V2 Service Manager followed by the V3 Manager Bridge is currently the only route to V3 Expert, (soon to change)

Not to be nitpicky, but there is another way that has bothered me since they began offering expert exams.

The other way is if a person has enough clustered v2 practitioner credits to equal 15 or more credits under the v3 system. They can take the v2 to v3 foundation bridge and the v3 Manager Bridge and through that method have the correct number of credits and be awarded the ITIL Expert.

I wish they wouldn't allow that path. I know of one large training vendor who has made people that fit into that path a definite part of their plan for marketing and offering v3 Manager Bridge classes.

And you are correct about the other other way...I'm seeing that I'm probably going to be booked delivering lifecycle and capability stream classes from March until who knows when...This sucks for me because I am having so much more fun doing WebSphere work.

MS
  • ITILTRAINITILTRAIN Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All,

There are many ways to become an ITIL Expert today. They are

1. If you don't have anything but a Foundation certificate

a. Take an ITIL V2 Service manager class with an online version of the service manager bridge class
    b. Take the V3 Lifecycle track (online or classroom) forllowed by the Managing Across the Lifecycle class.
    c. Take the V3 Capability track (online or classroom) forllowed by the Managing Across the Lifecycle class.
    d. Take a mix of V3 Lifecycle & Capability classes (online or classroom) forllowed by the Managing Across the Lifecycle class.

2. If you have a few V2 Practitioners under you belt then follow the recommendations from the credit calculator on the official ITIL web site http://www.itil-officialsite.com/itilmapping/v2/map.asp

rick