Taking A Break from Cisco?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I know most people say to jump right into ICND2, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the material. I was thinking of maybe working on another cert and then coming back to get the CCNA. Anyone done this? Should I just complete the CCNA? Thanks in advance!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I just finished my 290 and decided not to take my 291 to finish my MCSA.

Instead i. am going to take my CCENT then back to 291 then back to CCNA
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    the_Grinch wrote:
    I know most people say to jump right into ICND2, but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the material. I was thinking of maybe working on another cert and then coming back to get the CCNA. Anyone done this? Should I just complete the CCNA? Thanks in advance!

Go for the ICND2.... this is hard because I had the same problem as you last month. Then work started giving me some motivation so I am fully into the material now. I am not sure what you can do to suddenly "Get interested" but it is in your best interest.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I say keep on going since the material is still sharp in your mind. If you take a break, you might need to relearn some of it.

But it really depends, you know your mind best icon_wink.gif
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did something similar. I completed CCENT ICND1 in April and CCNA ICND2 in Oct. Pretty big gap in between, but I also obtained 3 certifications between that time frame. I studied for ICND2 and then when I couldn't concentrate on it anymore and things just didn't seem to make sense no matter how hard I studied, I took a break and studied something else. You are not the only one that did this. Though, mind you that every lapse resulted in recovered material.

From another vantage point, the recovering of material was like reinforcement for that subject. In the end, I did pass ICND2, just with having passed three other certifications in between CCENT ICND1 and CCNA ICND2. If you can stick to just studying the Cisco and tough it out, I think you will be better off because having to cover a lot of material over again did take more time. Mind you, I had to do this three times.

ICND2 is difficult for a reason. Looking back on my studies for ICND2, I say stick with ICND2 and knock it out.
    I actually have a recommendation for you - book a test day. As Chris Bryant says, people work best under deadlines. You WILL study if you book your test now 1-2 months out.
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I wouldn't leave it too long. Have you had any time off since ICND1? Take a couple of weeks, drink some beer, spend more time with the wife/girlfriend/who knows... Chill out and relax, your ICND1 knowledge isn't going to evaporate overnight.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JavonR wrote:
    I actually have a recommendation for you - book a test day. As Chris Bryant says, people work best under deadlines. You WILL study if you book your test now 1-2 months out.

+1 Definitely!

I am never motivated without a test date.
    I agree, I didn't want to let my Second Chance retake expires, so I booked a test date of Oct. 14th. Decide how long you will needs to study and set a date for the exam. Its a good plan and has worked for many including myself.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep with the icnd2. Like others have said take a little break. i never go straight into one thing from another straight after. i always take a week or two and just xbox it, go out with the gf etc.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alrighty guys, I'm going to schedule it and start studying! Thanks for the advice!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Changing the scenery can be very good at times. The CCNA material seems to be a lot of things (after you finish it you realize it is not, but what is different? a B.S.? No, a M.S? Not really...)and sometimes iut is easy to feel it is enough.

I just recently started studying/reading several books at the same time, and it has been a suggestion from several hardcore readers friends that i refused to take, and i must say it is really nice because it is rare when u dont feel like studying one of the several subjects being studied. Right now, I am studying lean methodologies (The toyota way), Project management (The fast forward MBA in PM), Communications/persuasion (Talk your way to the top by Kevbin Hogan) and I attest that it is simply too hard to find something on the TV more entertaining than those books. Oh, I almost forgot, but I am also studying BSCI for the CCNP :D.

If you are not feeling like going after the CCNA inmediately, I dont think a little break can hurt as long as you keep using your time wisely (like getting another certification).

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm finding the CCNP level stuff MUCH easier to learn than CCNA.

As strange as that sounds... hear me out!

CCNA has just SO much content, soooo many topics.

CCNP (BSCI) for example has 5/6 and that suits me more.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    gorebrush wrote:
    I'm finding the CCNP level stuff MUCH easier to learn than CCNA.

As strange as that sounds... hear me out!

CCNA has just SO much content, soooo many topics.

CCNP (BSCI) for example has 5/6 and that suits me more.

Less material topics are covered in the NP exams but the depth you have to know the material for the exam is a lot deeper.

Don't remember who said it but its true. The CCNA is a mile wide and an inch deep where the NP exams are an inch wide and a mile deep.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCENT is a good place to be if yuo don't have any experience to back it up.

knock out a client and a server cert and come back to it. 70-620 s quick and easy I hear.
    -Daniel
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Less material topics are covered in the NP exams but the depth you have to know the material for the exam is a lot deeper.

Don't remember who said it but its true. The CCNA is a mile wide and an inch deep where the NP exams are an inch wide and a mile deep.

Couldnt agree more with that statement. It may seem there's less topics to learn for each exam but they are way more in depth
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking

Funny that you should say that because I was thinking the exact same thing. I heard that from a CCIE on Linkedin in a Cisco discussion group.

Keep with it dude, whether you choose to take a break or not is up to you. You know you best. Best of luck! :)
    the_Grinch wrote:
    Alrighty guys, I'm going to schedule it and start studying! Thanks for the advice!

Good choice! You won't regret it when that test day comes and you get your CCNA.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the material

Ugh...I know the feeling. I passed ICND1 yesterday and started studying for ICND2 today. After reading the first two chapters (VLANS and STP) in Odom's book, my main reaction is...

Huh? icon_scratch.gif

I'm not sure if it's just because of the somewhat drastic change in material from ICND1, or what. I expected the material to be quite a bit harder, but as I read this stuff I feel as though I'm just aware of it, not really "getting it".

Ah well...I don't plan on quitting. I'll read through the book and gather what I can, while watching the CBT Nugget videos in between reading.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post about this. You're not alone.

Keep studying, we'll see who gets there first! icon_wink.gif
    /usr wrote:
    but I'm finding it hard to concentrate on the material

Ugh...I know the feeling. I passed ICND1 yesterday and started studying for ICND2 today. After reading the first two chapters (VLANS and STP) in Odom's book, my main reaction is...

Huh? icon_scratch.gif

I'm not sure if it's just because of the somewhat drastic change in material from ICND1, or what. I expected the material to be quite a bit harder, but as I read this stuff I feel as though I'm just aware of it, not really "getting it".

Ah well...I don't plan on quitting. I'll read through the book and gather what I can, while watching the CBT Nugget videos in between reading.

Anyway, I just figured I'd post about this. You're not alone.

Keep studying, we'll see who gets there first! icon_wink.gif

It's funny you mention this, the same thing happened to me when I first picked up the ICND2 material. However, everything has just seemed to "click" over the last two weeks. I almost feel like I am ready to take the exam, just another week or two so I can solidify everything.
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I kind of figured it would. Jumping into the first two chapters of the ICND2 book is like jumping into a completely new certification almost.

I haven't even started fooling around and creating labs yet, either.

Need to get another switch... icon_mad.gif
    Bah I took my own advice and scheduled my ICND2 for December 3rd... time to hammer down the small details!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Uh-oh a little race huh? Well I won't be ready by December 3rd I can tell you that much and with no free retake I won't risk it. But /usr, if your not first your last!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Yeah - Luckily if I pass my exam work will pay for it. Helps make the whole process a little easier I guess icon_cool.gif