i need ur help

bensenbensen Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
i just passed my RHCE exams. i am moving to the USA next month to stay permanently. i dont know what kind of opportunities are there with the whole recession thing. pls give me ur advice. i will be staying in maryland. pls advise

Comments

• evil_lbtevil_lbt Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    may i know the reason why you are coming over?

which state are you moving to?
  • bensenbensen Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i will be in maryland. actually i am migrating to the usa. got my green card.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    bensen wrote:

The Baltimore area is OK but its lots of IT jobs in the DC area. What part of MD are you moving too?
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked job boards for that area?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try to become a US citizen and not just a resident. A lot of jobs in the MD area are going to be government jobs requiring citizenship.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Mishra wrote:
    Try to become a US citizen and not just a resident. A lot of jobs in the MD area are going to be government jobs requiring citizenship.

+1

In the greater DC\Baltimore area, certain things are key to getting a good job. One is the US Citizanship and the next is a Security Clearence. I'm not syaing that there are not other good jobs available. I always see ads for doctors offices, laywers offices, etc., looking for highly skilled IT people.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
    thanx for the response. i understand what u r saying but i have to be a permanent resident for 5 yrs before i can be a citizen. or should i consider moving to another state.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IT Man wrote:
    bensen wrote:

The Baltimore area is OK but its lots of IT jobs in the DC area. What part of MD are you moving too?

he could be in a part of maryland thats right outside of dc, like PG county, or Montgomery county. but yeah, DC has alot of IT jobs, and since alot of the companies in the dc/md/va(THE DMV) area deal with the gov't, the jobs are a lil more secure there...but you'd also have to gain a security clearance for some companies tho...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I would definitely check out the job boards in that area. Check out Dice, Monster, Craigslist, Careerbuilder, SimplyHired, and LinkedIn. Contrary to what most people will tell you, having citizenship isn't the be-all and end-all of working in this county. I've had my green card for 18 years, and I've never been turned down for a job because I wasn't a citizen, and that includes government positions. While citizenship is helpful in some situations, such as gaining security clearances, it's not always the best choice for everyone.

Red Hat engineers are in pretty high demand right now, as opposed to a few years ago. You'll probably be able to find work pretty much anywhere in the country with the coveted RHCE title under your belt, as it's become very popular and known for being difficult to obtain. Another thing that will help you is a formal education. While the U.S. doesn't always acknowledge degrees from schools not in this country, it's still helpful to have some type of college education. If you haven't gone to college in your home country, it's definitely a good idea to look into it when you get here, even it's only a community (two-year) college to start with. Good luck with your move, your job-search, and the rest of your endeavors. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    thanx a lot for ur contribution. i did go to school in my country. so maybe i will look into getting a masters. i will appreciate any advice. u have for me.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    bensen wrote:
    thanx a lot for ur contribution. i did go to school in my country. so maybe i will look into getting a masters. i will appreciate any advice. u have for me.
    The only thing I can tell you to do that will help is to take some intensive courses on writing and speaking English. I was very young when we moved here, so I went through the school system and learned English as if though it was my first language. My parents struggled for many years, being treated as if they were slow or weren't as smart as their coworkers because their English grammar wasn't as good as it could have been. It's especially true in mid to high-level IT, when writing emails and reports, that communicating effectively can make you appear more professional.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask anytime you have any other questions regarding the job-market or certs. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    thanks a lot slowhand about the english language it is actually my first language so i will just read up on how to sound more professional while writing or speaking it.
    how is the Linux and networking field market over in the usa? what skills are in demand. is the RHCE in demand over there ? also how do i construct my resume. just anything will be helpful really