Options

Being a Helpdesk

What do you see as being the most difficult task in being a Helpdesk?

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Being there? icon_lol.gif

Seriously....
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What do you see as being the most difficult task in being a Helpdesk?

Would it really be that much more difficult than being any other type of desk?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Taking calls from customers......

I hated taking incoming calls from irate customers. I'm sure glad I'm past that point in my career.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    I hate it when people scuff my underside with their shoes and leave melted, sticky candy bars in my drawers. And--damn it--dust me once in a while!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You guys crack me up icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:

Seriously....

lol...hilarious...
    but i'd say with helpdesk/tech support/desktop support...the worst is talkin to someone who cant even really explain what the problem is, they give the most vaguest description possible...nothing drives me crazier than that...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Lack of communication. Usually from the customer but also on a number of occasions from further up the food chain.

I really did hate taking calls, I'm with networker050184 that I'm glad I'm past that point in my career as well!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with all the others ;) but it was soo hard to bite my tongue and not shout back at the morons!!! especially when there cursing at you down the phone.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nel wrote:
    I agree with all the others ;) but it was soo hard to bite my tongue and not shout back at the morons!!!

ditto... i think when you get to this stage its about the right time to move from the helpdesk icon_smile.gif

especially when there cursing at you down the phone.

oh i used to enjoy that.... cos it gave me an excuse to hang up..... i was luckily backed by my bosses everytime.....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nel wrote:
    I agree with all the others ;) but it was soo hard to bite my tongue and not shout back at the morons!!!

ditto... i think when you get to this stage its about the right time to move from the helpdesk icon_smile.gif

especially when there cursing at you down the phone.

oh i used to enjoy that.... cos it gave me an excuse to hang up..... i was luckily backed by my bosses everytime.....

ha! i know what you mean. Its the same people who THINK there high and mighty because of a particular job they do but in reality there no better than anyone else.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "I need this done and it's really important because I'm so and so's assistant and I have to.........did I mention it's really important??" .....don't know how many times I've heard this back in my helpdesk days...

Our helpdesk was not only a regular helpdesk, but also functioned as network support, so it wasn't that bad really. Most of my time was spent doing some cool stuff. It DID finely tune my troubleshooting skills though. For that I am thankful.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    The customers that cannot do things my 1 year old niece has already done... like plug in RCA cables
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    megasysmegasys Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TravR1 wrote:
    The customers that cannot do things my 1 year old niece has already done... like plug in RCA cables

...or turning on the Monitor :D
  • Options
    TechJunky wrote:

Seriously....

I totally agree!!!
  • Options
    phone calls.

You got that right, brother! :D
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Answering calls from lawyers, consultants, and other people of that nature that think they are god's gift to the world and everyone else is below them. I especially enjoyed taking calls from those kind of people when I'm here trying to help them and they're talking down to me like I don't speak English.

Other than that, Help Desk is as fun as you make it. I had a good time on the phones, joking around with our clients. They all knew me by name and would call the queue asking for me. Even got a few accolade letters for amazing customer service that I take to every job interview.
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I HATED working Help Desk. The only cool thing is making fun of customers after the call was done (or muting the microphone) and sharing laughs with your Help Desk colleagues.
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    I really didn't care for all of the negativity from co-workers when working at a help desk. It may not be the best environment, but a lot of people would gripe and complain about anything and everything almost incessantly (particularly those who were wearing thin after 5+ years). I understand their situation, but why would others want to surround themselves with ever-upset coworkers? I was contracted on at the time, and was offered a full time position there; I passed it up because of the people I would have been working with.

It wasn't all bad though, and there were some enjoyable times (with coworkers as well as clients).