Options

Possibility of doing this self-study?

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
Was wondering if you think it's likely I could get my CCNP through self-study alone.

Here's some background.

1. I currently work in desktop support and I have some networking experience, but on servers, not on switches.

2. I got my CCNA in 2006 through self-study with limited resources. I had no hardware and just one book and one set of practice exams. I used the Boson sims. I think this required a certain degree of aptitude for the subject. I feel I'm reasonably intelligent, but not like super smart or anything. I'm NOT a computer geek at all where I eat and breath this stuff. Outside of work I just use my computer for the basic stuff. I don't go running around getting all excited about some new system that's coming out and yammering on about Megahertz and Gigabytes and get all worked up...it's just a machine used to serve a purpose.

I thought I would have more items to mention, but that's pretty much it. This time I would invest in all the appropriate hardware and multiple books and a good practice exam.

So...what's the concensus??

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    You can do it. It will not be easy, but with the proper resources and time commitments it can be done. I have just completed my CCNP, it took me 11 months. I treated the task at hand like a full time job and spent at least 40 hours a week dedicated to the cause.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
    40 hours a week?? whew. Thanx for the vote of encouragement. I'm assuming there's already a thread on here laying out all you need for the task. Could you point me to it, or you probably know yourself instead.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sleemie wrote:
    40 hours a week?? whew. Thanx for the vote of encouragement. I'm assuming there's already a thread on here laying out all you need for the task. Could you point me to it, or you probably know yourself instead.

Check out the FAQ at the top of this forum.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    All of my certifications have been achieved through self study.

I'm finding the CCNP level stuff easy as well.

However, I do live and breath Computers every single day of my life, and have done for the past 21 years...

My never-waining interest in "knowing things" has what has always kept me going, and has meant that I learn things *extremely* quickly.

I feel very lucky.

However, I still have to put the work in, and I study 3-4 hours per night on a good night, and probably 10-20 hours on the weekend if I can.

(best case)

Hope this helps - but with the right commitment, anything is possible.