Desktop or Laptop? which one is great for cisco router &

nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys:

I'm planning to buy a computer to run and study for cisco routers and switches but I don't don't know which one is great for them. I mean desktop or laptop? and I want to use them for long term so that I don't have to do the upgrade after a year... the minimum is fine, not too expensive. Any one has any advice?

Thanks a bunch and appreciate it.
icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif
Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Considering all you need is a Telnet/Hyperterm/TeraTerm/Putty client, then most will do.

Oh yeah, make sure it's got a serial port!!

Probably need something that'll run Windows and Java for the SDM stuff, but other than that, nothing really special is needed.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you talking about running dynamips/dynagen/gns3 or just connection to real equipment? You don't need anything special to connect actual hardware. You could probably get by with a 486 icon_lol.gif
    YES!

IBTD (In before the dynamik) ;)
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    I would base my decision on what "other things" I will be using the desktop/laptop for. Just like what Gorebrush mentioned, there is not much requirement to connect your router/switch. I myself use a laptop using a usb to serial converter to establish console connection.

If you're buying a new computer, I would place heavier emphasis on other "productivity" considerations such as heavy gaming, big spreadsheet application use, or as Dynamik suggested, running dynamips/dynagen/gns3.

I bought a laptop a year ago to use for studying. Had I given more thought to how I was actually going to utilize the laptop, I would have made a different choice and buy a more powerful desktop for the same price that I bought the laptop with. As it is, the laptop has been sitting on my desk for a good half a year and has not moved. So I don't really take advantage of its portability. In addition, RAM is more expensive - now that I want to increase it. A desktop would have served me better.

So don't worry about the issue of connecting your router and switch. Any would do. Consider more the other factors that you can or may use it for.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I use an old Dell 600M laptop for my studying. However, all I use it for is a terminal to connect to my lab. I remote in using VNC and study on my "good" laptop.
    Do those USB-> Serials work?

I have a spare Athlon 64 2800 on for all my terminal work because it has 2 serial ports, yet my shiny Q6600 PC has no Serial ports whatsoever...

Could do with some USB->Ser's if I knew they worked ok...
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    gorebrush wrote:

I have a spare Athlon 64 2800 on for all my terminal work because it has 2 serial ports, yet my shiny Q6600 PC has no Serial ports whatsoever...

Could do with some USB->Ser's if I knew they worked ok...

A while back I read a thread where folks are having problems with connecting their usb-serial cable. Can't remember where that thread is or if it's in this forum. But, I never had a problem on mine. Well, except for when I remove the usb cable, every now and then XP would ask me to reinstall it. Come to think of it, it no longer asks me to do that. When I first installed it last year it kept giving me problems whenever I removed the usb. But now everything is fine. I forget what brand it was that I bought. I'll see if I can find out when I get home today.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote:

I've had a couple that have been difficult finding drivers for (especially on Vista x64), but they've worked fine once I got them installed properly. They just show up as COM3, COM5, or whatever the next available one is. It's completely transparent from there on out.
    Should be OK then... would be nice not to have to rely on 2 PC's just for the sake of serial connections, lol.... :D

Thanks!
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    LOL!

Yeah, I have a couple of of the USB 2 serial connections and they work pretty good. I have for my laptop and one for my desktop. Since I don't have an access server yet, I'm stuck with calling my wife asking her to switch console cables from one device to another while I'm remote from work!! She doesn't mind for now, but I'm sure it will get old and I will hear it!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • nmqtabtnmqtabt Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey aragoen_celtdra, the problems with connecting their usb-serial cable it came from todd lammle's forum. I've got all your ideas and comments. Thanks much again. Good luck to all. :D
    Don't fear to climb to a position, you will get there one day. Do your best...
  • /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    The USB to serial converters are a pain to get to work properly sometimes. Like dynamik mentioned, you'll occasionally have trouble finding drivers, like I am now for the couple that I have.

If you buy them new and they come with drivers for your OS, you should be fine though.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use a bit of all. I have a real rack limited only to about 10 devices 3 of which are switches. I use my laptop 90% of the time for dynamips labs but have purchased a new "family" computer that I will run dynamips on. Going to add a 4 port nic to connect to the real lab.

so it depends on what your doing and how you want to do it.. I would suggest buy according to function served. If you expect do run only virtual and want to transport it everywhere get a solid laptop, if you plan on mixing and matching with it not traveling a desktop will fit. if you need both well get both
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    I've got my Macbook Pro that does everything I want. I've got a usb to serial adapter for connecting to real equipment and can run labs of 15+ routers in GNS3 quite happily.

I had no problems with the usb to serial adapter, just make sure you buy a good make with proper drivers.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    gorebrush wrote:

I've had a couple that have been difficult finding drivers for (especially on Vista x64), but they've worked fine once I got them installed properly. They just show up as COM3, COM5, or whatever the next available one is. It's completely transparent from there on out.

i sometimes found that on vista but if i plug it in the same usb port it works ok :)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I sometimes use an old Capio terminal box that is basically useless except for the fact that it has 2 serial ports and built-in software that supports terminal emulation.

It also runs Windows CE, which I have yet to find a good use for.

But I paid $2 for it so I can't complain.

:)