Options

how does it work CCNP and dead exams?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey ccnp gurus

okay I understand that now that I have CCNA it is good for 3 years and if I take say
BCSI and pass it extends it 3 years, and if I take BCMSN it extends it to that 3 years.

okay what if by the time I finish BCSI and BCMSN the ONT and ISCW are expired.
then what do I do? the first 2 are prerequists to the last two exams aren't they?

I am totally confused cause I know this can happen. Who on God's green earth
can hit the Cert CCNP cycle dead on? not me..
It is going to take like 8-10 months for at leaste my BCSI and BCMSN each since
I am taking college classes too at the same time but I need some guidance from you guys
who have tons of certs in cisco..

thank you

:D

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Think if you've let every single exam expire, you would have to take one of them to make your certs "alive" again...

Still, I wouldnt want to take 12 years over a CCNP icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    itdaddy wrote:
    Hey ccnp gurus

okay I understand that now that I have CCNA it is good for 3 years and if I take say
    BCSI and pass it extends it 3 years, and if I take BCMSN it extends it to that 3 years.

okay what if by the time I finish BCSI and BCMSN the ONT and ISCW are expired.
    then what do I do? the first 2 are prerequists to the last two exams aren't they?

I am totally confused cause I know this can happen. Who on God's green earth
    can hit the Cert CCNP cycle dead on? not me..
    It is going to take like 8-10 months for at leaste my BCSI and BCMSN each since
    I am taking college classes too at the same time but I need some guidance from you guys
    who have tons of certs in cisco..

thank you

:D

To obtain the CCNP you need to complete the other three exams within 3 years of completing the first of the four exams. As stated each time you pass a professional level exam, it extends your CCNA. and once you obtain the CCNP, the same rules apply, pass any professional level exam, and it extends your CCNP for three years.

Hope that helps.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    miller811 wrote:
    To obtain the CCNP you need to complete the other three exams within 3 years of completing the first of the four exams. As stated each time you pass a professional level exam, it extends your CCNA. and once you obtain the CCNP, the same rules apply, pass any professional level exam, and it extends your CCNP for three years.

Correct.

Robert, you can do it three years if you average nine months per exam. ONT and ISCW don't seem to garner the fear that BSCI and BCMSN do, so maybe you can spend 10 months on BSCI and BCMSN and 8 months on the other two. Also, you might want to consider doing the composite exam for BSCI and BCMSN. You'd be halfway done after one exam, and you'd have three years from that point to finish the other two. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik
    thanks that helps a lot
    and so does miller811 help thanks, and Dave you are funny. sounds like money and time are on your hands you deserve it you have your BS degree in 3 years wow not like USA degrees (working adult) I am.

but yeah I would like to take the composite exam if i can study and work very hard I would like to try, I did ccna 802 and it was composite...but I know I will need more time with BSCI/BCMSN
    but with me working on my 4 year degree and 10 classes shy of it, it is very hard stuff..computer science stuff. the computer programming is fairly easy for me but these physics classes ouch I love physics but the math I havent done in like 7 years, not every day yo do calc you know even though calc is so cool. ;)

but my degree is my priority and my love is cisco haahah what a drama
    thanks guys..it is hammer time..just dumped the girlfriend so maybe I should add to the post
    Girlfriend or Cisco cert...well like I have always said where there is a successul carerr there is a hot chick waiting for me haahaha oh yeah! haaha
    freedom....I am having an affair with router girl! yeah! hahhhha
    haha
    -RObert icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ITdaddy, i know where your coming from man. I too are doing my 4 yr degree PT (got around another 14 months to do) but badly want to take on the CCNP. but you are doing the right thing - stick with your degree and complete it now whilst you can...dont slip seen as though you've come this far! Then readup on your NP studies when you have a spare moment. Im taking this approach and although it will take longer than i would prefer i know realistically that you cant do both at the same pace. SO the way i see it is at least reading up when you get a sec is better than nothing.

Good luck man, keep up the good work.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking