hey GNS3 gurus..

anyone have any good IDLE PC values?
thanks really need them, running 2600 routers with 12.4 ios and enterprise
will these images idle??
thanks

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you tried having dynamips calculate an idlepc value?

To do so, just boot a single router and wait for it to finish booting so it's sitting idle. Run "idlepc get router" where router is the name of your router instance in dynamips. I know you said you are using GNS3 so you don't have the dynamips window up and running but I believe you can do that in the GNS3 GUI as well.

You can see if anybody on hacki's forums (http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php) has any suggestions as well if the above doesn't work out.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I calculated a few for a couple different IOS files and just stick with those. Here are the the calculated values I have in my laptop dynagenidledb.ini
    c7200-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T.bin = 0x606e92d8
    c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-5a.bin = 0x6042a3ac
    c3620-ik9o3s6-mz.123-17a.bin = 0x604c82c4
    c7200-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T.image = 0x606e8c80
    c3640-jk9o3s-mz.124-5a.image = 0x6042a3ac
    c3620-ik9o3s6-mz.123-17a.image = 0x605332bc
    c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-7.image = 0x60af2558

The files that end in .image are the uncompressed version of the .bin files.

Of course, those will only work if you have those specific IOS files.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you tried having dynamips calculate an idlepc value?

To do so, just boot a single router and wait for it to finish booting so it's sitting idle. Run "idlepc get router" where router is the name of your router instance in dynamips. I know you said you are using GNS3 so you don't have the dynamips window up and running but I believe you can do that in the GNS3 GUI as well.

You can see if anybody on hacki's forums (http://7200emu.hacki.at/index.php) has any suggestions as well if the above doesn't work out.

Just to clarify the window you call "the dynamips window" is actually the Dynagen console- Both GNS3 and Dynagen use Dynamips.

Robert..as msteinhilber said, start only one router, let it boot up fully, console into the router, and if you are presented with the autoconfig dialog select "no", then hit enter. If you don't do this, you can get a inaccurate idlepc value..I've had some pretty jacked up ones. Use idlepc get R1 or whatever..after selecting a value with the "*" next to it, see how much your CPU drops- it should be quite noticeable. If it didn't drop that far, use "idlepc show R1" to see the values you got earlier, and select a different one. Straight from the GNS3 documentation! Good luck..
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks I am using GNS3 and yeah right click on the started router and it does calc values
    but i am using 12.4 enterprise ios image and for some reason running 3 routers with the 2621 12.4 enterprise ios images seems to be stuck and wont idle my cpu?
    that is why i wanted some values that worked for you. I wish I knew the condition it uses to calc? does it take into account type of cpu? type of system bus speed? I do n ot know
    or does it take into account type of image? does a smaller ios matter?
    thanks

mrock4

I have not tried what you said will give it an try so image type like 12.4 enterprise doesnt matter? will try it.I have never had arpoblem with12.3 ios images just when I wanted to try
    12.4 ios on a 2621 router? with the enterprise image? will try and get back which ya ;)
    thanks dudes
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A less-featured IOS image will have a lower CPU utilization then a larger one. That being said, an enterprise image for a 7200 will hold CPU usage considerably higher then a 2600 running the minimum services.
  • Options
    Mrock4

yeah best go back to a smaller ios image but wanted 12.4 the higest version for my ccnp studies will have to paly around ;)
    thanks ;)

i wonder if GNS3 team will get 2800 series router nodes of the sim? that would be great
    right now i am using the 2600 with12.4 for my ccnp BSCI hope tha tis enough ?
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote:
    thanks I am using GNS3 and yeah right click on the started router and it does calc values
    but i am using 12.4 enterprise ios image and for some reason running 3 routers with the 2621 12.4 enterprise ios images seems to be stuck and wont idle my cpu?
    that is why i wanted some values that worked for you. I wish I knew the condition it uses to calc? does it take into account type of cpu? type of system bus speed? I do n ot know
    or does it take into account type of image? does a smaller ios matter?
    thanks

mrock4

I have not tried what you said will give it an try so image type like 12.4 enterprise doesnt matter? will try it.I have never had arpoblem with12.3 ios images just when I wanted to try
    12.4 ios on a 2621 router? with the enterprise image? will try and get back which ya ;)
    thanks dudes
    Robert..as msteinhilber said, start only one router, let it boot up fully, console into the router, and if you are presented with the autoconfig dialog select "no", then hit enter. If you don't do this, you can get a inaccurate idlepc value..I've had some

didnt know this will try what you guys said ;) let you know tonight thanks ;)
    Straight from the GNS3 documentation! Good luck..

hahaha yeah i should read but easier if you guys do it hahahaah just kidding thanks
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    itdaddy wrote:
    Mrock4

yeah best go back to a smaller ios image but wanted 12.4 the higest version for my ccnp studies will have to paly around ;)
    thanks ;)

i wonder if GNS3 team will get 2800 series router nodes of the sim? that would be great
    right now i am using the 2600 with12.4 for my ccnp BSCI hope tha tis enough ?

I'm planning to buy some 28xx's
  • Options
    gorebrush

jerk!

hahahahah haha
    man just kidding you lucky dog! 2800s holy crap they are pricey! man!
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote:
    gorebrush

jerk!

hahahahah haha
    man just kidding you lucky dog! 2800s holy crap they are pricey! man!

Tell me about it, they are like £1000 each.

It is a lot of money - but if I'm going to do a CCIE or two, it's going to be a longterm investment.

It could be worse - I could waste the money on faster CPU's and GPU's... or worse still, beer :D

Keeps me out of trouble, ultimately, lol!
  • Options
    Dave

i am happy for you sounds like lady luck is on your side i am pumped for you man
    go for it....you are ccie material.....me too ;) once my BS degree is done then i can devote
    my soul to cisco hahaha ;) but serious way too hard to go to college and cisco
    would rather do cisco ;)
  • Options
    Cheers Rob for the kind words.

I hope that I am CCIE material, going to take a lot of hard work and discipline, but I think I can pull it off :)

Hope you can to, you seem to have the enthusiasm for Cisco, I think you need a lot of that :)

Dave
  • Options
    Dave

yeah, I wish our colleges were like yours in UK like the 3 year degrees, you have it way better and better organized. I think your colleges are designed for learning your trade/art while ours
    are to suck the $$$ out of you. I am sad because our education system I feel is not as good as say European colleges for the fact you guys push to learn more and your standards are higher. Here it is the McDonalds education. order what you want at any age. But things are changing. Thank God! It pisses me off that math and science is a side dish here. I am an arts and science guy. We need science push harder here. I am very impressed with European schools how you guys have 3 years for a typical 4-5 year program. And we take a lot of bullshit fluff classes and yo guys focus more on your speciality. way better....I want to learn my work not take fluff classes that I will never give a rip about. but yeh

you are ccie material..any man who spends that kind of money is no fool, you want it and yeah
    you do have to be kind of pscho for cisco you know to be a ccie. I have heard and well seen people who are into cisco either you are a nut for cisco or you are not. Me I work with MS stuff
    but really like the Linux world/cisco world.. I Do MS cause I have to. Though I would like an MSCE for the fact that an MCSE is to me like a 2 year degree in say IT. I have always thought MCSE should have been taught in college and screw all that history/psych i took what a waste of time..i mean i took psych and histor all in high school in college enough is enough. Thank god I am done with all that crap but would have rather taken UNIX systems or Assembly langugae
    which I am going to take my class in assembly. which I got to pick... so yeah
    you are going to make..you have attitude! and my words are kind yeah but I am honest
    I call them as I see them you are nutz! haha for cisco like me and maybe Iam just got the nutz part haahah ;)