Security Career

neo468neo468 Member Posts: 123
I know there are multiple paths in the security field. I know there are several different security professionals on the forums here and would like to get your input on where you think the future demand will be. Will there be more demand from a managerial standpoint or design/implimenter. As far as work in the trenches is it better to have more experience on the Cisco end or more toward general network protection and OS security. I know in pursuing my security career I must start at the bottom, but would like your input on which area would be more advantageous to learn.

Also I don't have network+ cert, I was going to go straight into obtaining my security+, since I have a good handle on the network+ concepts since I work with them on a daily basis. Are there jobs out there that I can get experience with on the side without quitting my day job?
1's and 0's

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    neo468 wrote:
    and would like to get your input on where you think the future demand will be. Will there be more demand from a managerial standpoint or design/implimenter.
    Diversafication is usually a good thing. Having both technical and managerial experience on your resume will keep you employed. At some point, throw teaching into your experience just to round out your resume. There will always be demands in all of those areas.
    neo468 wrote:
    Are there jobs out there that I can get experience with on the side without quitting my day job?
    You mean like those listed on dice.com, monster.com, hotjobs.com, craigslist.org, etc? There are also numerous community adult education programs where you can volunteer to teach classes on basic computer operation and security (e.g., Internet safety, identity theft, wireless network security, etc.) that the average person needs to know.