3 Positions I have been accepted for... Which one to take?

So here is my delimia. I have done contract work for all the companies so I know how each company works internally. I am currently hired on as a Systems Administrator for my current company and I have an offer to become a Field Engineer in the companies commercial sector.

Company 1: Current Company

Pros: Pay increase of maybe 15k max, Great Experience, unlimited training, Huge Office with windows and I am the Technical Liason for all projects in the State of Alaska and Hawaii currently.

Cons: Low Pay, 3 weeks out of a month of travel instate. Usually 3-4 days each week to rural areas in Alaska (should be home before Friday).

Company 2: Hospital

Pros: 20k pay increase position goes up to 92k yr, Awesome Employees, Great work environment, I would be one of the highest technically qualified poeple in the position in the company. No Travel

Cons: Possible after hours work (normal in this position), dealing with doctors, Managers in different departments etc. MANY projects at once, reactive application fixing rather than proactive so I would be busy all the time (which is actually good for me)

Company 3: Largest Oil company in the world

Pros: 30k pay increase and position goes up to 100k yr, Head Engineer for the entire companies sharepoint/MS Project Application. Training immediatly upon hire. Wouldn't have to worry about getting a job with another company ever again. No Travel

Cons: High availability position, if I screwed up the whole company would know. Only person for the entire company in this position, no place for advice. After hours work defiantly required. Could be working a lot more than 8-5.

Personal Problem: Wife is requiring me to get away from the travel. I have traveled a lot for this company and my last company and we haven't spent much time together over the past 3 years. I have brought this up to my current employer and he said I wouldn't be traveling, but by the title obviously I would.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TechJunky wrote:

That's what she said.

That's too much to read on an empty stomach. I'll check it out when I get home...
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    #3 sounds like a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. Although there is more accountability you should be able to adapt in no time. It will require you to be independent in your learning but I think the money makes up for that.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    My rule is never work for doctors, lawyers or scientist....ever again!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • banderas1978banderas1978 Member Posts: 189
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Wow! And why is that?
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    My GF is a doctor. Doctors demand perfection and to be treated like one. They are extremely demanding and what their issue solved right away even if they dont understand the actual issue if there even is one. Usually human error.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    My father in law is a doctor and the President of a few things at the Hospital so I understand working with doctors, I dont think that will be a problem.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Wow! And why is that?

Because I had to stop sniffing glue.....
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    cbigbrick wrote:

I concur. I work for Doctors now and can't wait to leave. Never worked for scientists or lawyers, but my wife is a scientist and we get along fine. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Go with #3. Great money and while there is no one to look to for advice you can set things up the way you like them. I'd stay away from the hospital because Doctors are like teachers. I've worked for two school districts and the teachers think they are the end all be all. One district was great because they had it set in the teacher's heads that the techs were above them and not to mess with them. The other district let the teachers crap on us and it sucked. Doctors will be 10x worse then the teachers!

As an aside I think its time to move to Alaska! I would love to travel a lot for a couple of years!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
    # 3 for sure....good pay and lot of responsibilities on your own would definitely make u a better person in technical aspect. take up the challenge.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Because I had to stop sniffing glue.....
    And I thought you had picked the wrong day to quit amphetamines...
    Good luck to all!
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    cbigbrick wrote:

I think it really depends on the person, not the job role. My hubby's a scientist (I'm a non-practicing one, we both studied geology - I didn't stick with it but he did and is now a professor), and we have both worked for some great- and not so great to-work-for scientists. He went from working for a total hippy dude to the queen of ****-retentivity. Each brought their own unique challenges, but the hippy dude was way more fun to work for & hang out with at the bar after work! icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    if your wife is a bit sick of you travelling all the time, then she might also not really be supportive of position 1 (lots of instate travel) or position 3 (possible oodles of overtime). I wouldn't worry too much about working for doctors vs other groups of people. Just remember: everyone is a human being underneath their lab coats or doctor's coats or whatever uniform they wear/don't wear. They're all flawed people just like you or me (as much as I hate to admit those flaws!), and there will be people who suck everywhere, it's just that some will have more education and a bigger vocabulary to annoy you with at certain places! icon_lol.gif

I can't tell you what to do and no one else can either, but I can offer some opinions. I personally can't advocate going to work for an oil company (I'm a bit of a tree hugger and was an environmental geology major so I don't think I have to elaborate there), and I'm not a huge fan of travelling for work due to the stresses it can put on a family, so my slightly biased vote would be for job #2. Not glamorous but certainly sounds challenging and it's a significant step up in pay, and who knows, maybe you can change the dynamic and make it so you're doing preventive care instead of performing triage on the systems there (sorry for the blatant pun, but some of the docs who are more enlightened might understand this since it's a movement in healthcare too!). And it would keep the missus happier too, I'd bet. (Just trying to give you a female perspective on it...the little lady might be a bit taken aback if you know she'd like to spend more time with you and you go and pick a job that involves travel or gobs of overtime and turn down the one that might give you more home time.)

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod

stay with the one with trainings and experience. This is how you grow
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would go with number one or number three. Only choose number three if you are ready for it. It sounds like a lot of responsibility, and if you're ready for it that would probably be the best position. If you're not ready it could be a very bad experience.

The current company sounds pretty nice and I'm a sucker for a huge office (probably because I've never had one). I can't tell from your post whether you're an Alaskan or not, but if you have a problem with cold weather, it's probably not the job for you (depending on where you traveling to, some place aren't too bad).

-Kale

PS. If you happen to take the first one and you need a hard working and competent IT professional in Alaska let me know!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    TechJunky wrote:

That's what she said.

That's too much to read on an empty stomach. I'll check it out when I get home...

lol....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    My initial impression, position 3. Mostly because you stated "Wouldn't have to worry about getting a job with another company ever again. No Travel"
  • zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Position #3. Seems like a no brainer to me. These are tough economic times. Go with a stable job at a massive company, for great money.
    The consensus seems to be job #3 and thats where I was heading as well... However, I just received a call yesterday and found out that job #2 could pretty much match job #3 as far as pay. I have personally been leaning towards #2 just because I know 90% of their IT staff and they are all knowledgable and a very good group of people to work with. Plus medical bennies are dirt cheap.

#1 I have been leaning away from because from the start the company hasn't been honest with me and has had me doing job roles that were no where near what I was initially hired on for. I feel they would continue to put me in a role where it works best for their company and disreguard my needs.

Plus I would be moving from a Systems Administrator Role to a Field Engineer role. This obviously indicates travel in the title. Only big perk I see is the company trusts me 100% with my technical abilities to choose my own technical team here in Alaska. So I have already stated that I wanted to pull a fellow employee from Virginia and move them to Alaska because he has stated interest and the President has already contacted him and explained the job roles etc to him.

Either way, only up from here. Just have to decide where to go.
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    TechJunky wrote:
    So here is my delimia. I have done contract work for all the companies so I know how each company works internally. I am currently hired on as a Systems Administrator for my current company and I have an offer to become a Field Engineer in the companies commercial sector.

Pros: Pay increase of maybe 15k max, Great Experience, unlimited training, Huge Office with windows and I am the Technical Liason for all projects in the State of Alaska and Hawaii currently.

Cons: Low Pay, 3 weeks out of a month of travel instate. Usually 3-4 days each week to rural areas in Alaska (should be home before Friday).

Pros: 20k pay increase position goes up to 92k yr, Awesome Employees, Great work environment, I would be one of the highest technically qualified poeple in the position in the company. No Travel

Cons: Possible after hours work (normal in this position), dealing with doctors, Managers in different departments etc. MANY projects at once, reactive application fixing rather than proactive so I would be busy all the time (which is actually good for me)

Pros: 30k pay increase and position goes up to 100k yr, Head Engineer for the entire companies sharepoint/MS Project Application. Training immediatly upon hire. Wouldn't have to worry about getting a job with another company ever again. No Travel

Cons: High availability position, if I screwed up the whole company would know. Only person for the entire company in this position, no place for advice. After hours work defiantly required. Could be working a lot more than 8-5.

Personal Problem: Wife is requiring me to get away from the travel. I have traveled a lot for this company and my last company and we haven't spent much time together over the past 3 years. I have brought this up to my current employer and he said I wouldn't be traveling, but by the title obviously I would.

Excellent Dilemma.. Now, on to what the previous poster's said: dealing with doctor's, lawyers, and scientists sucks. You are often dealing with the worst of both worlds: non-technical and arrogant. Both of these groups have gone through lots of school and expect an undue amount of respect.

However, the abuse factor usually occurs on the help desk/ user support level -- not on the MCSE/Software Design level. So, you should be okay.

All of the choices sound very good.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    #3 I'd go for.

You just cannot buy Job Security anymore, and this one sounds like a real step up as well as pay increase, etc.
  • unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote:

I'm sure that by now you've made your decision, but IMHO, I would go with #2. I agree with most others on here that dealing with doctors and lawyers (i'd also throw CPA's out there) is not the most fun, as a matter of fact I'll never, ever work for another law firm for as long as I live. On a side note one of my greatest work experiences was with a pharmaceutical company and the scientists/chemists/etc. were great people. Anyway, my reasoning behind #2 is that you have an opportunity to become a SME with their core health systems. If you want opportunities for great earning potential get yourself really comfortable with those systems to the point that all hostpitals and clinics will call you to be a consultant on big projects. It would be an excellent opportunity for starting your own consulting firm down the road.

Don't go with #3 just because they are a large corporation. We've all seen that large corporations are just as susceptable to failure as smaller ones. With the price of oil continuing to fall and the nations supposed drive for renewable fuels you might find that the company will lay off nonessesstial staff including highly paid technical people.

#1 sounds pretty good in terms of training and you can't really get any more stable than working for a state agency. Yeah you deal with budget constraints and all that jazz, but if you're looking for stability that will be your best bet.

Just my x02 cents
    Preparing for CCIE Written
    Ok, I went into Employer #3 today and met with the person writing my offer letter. We both agreed on a dollar amount and said she just needed the Manager in the department to approve the offer letter and hopefully I would have it by later today or tomorrow.

I was very candid with her as she was with me and this sounds like a much more put together organization.

Once I sign the offer letter I will let everyone know who the company is. :D
    So company #2 called me back today and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It actually paid just as much as company #3 and better bennies, plus there is still room to grow.

So as of today I took job #2!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    TechJunky wrote:
    So company #2 called me back today and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. It actually paid just as much as company #3 and better bennies, plus there is still room to grow.

So as of today I took job #2!

Congrats man!

Who says the economy is down? :D
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! Keep us posted :D
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    happy to hear that you made your choice!!!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    congrats!! :D

• vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cool. icon_wink.gif
    Certified Lunatic.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nanga wrote:
    # 3 for sure....good pay and lot of responsibilities on your own would definitely make u a better person in technical aspect. take up the challenge.

plus it sounds like you'd never be bored
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."