ISCW done... on to ONT

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
I worked hard on this one in the last two months. Someone mentioned that the CCNA:Security was a good prep for this exam... it was. Quite a bit of overlap.

Finished with a 901, despite not getting to finish the last two questions.

Implement basic teleworker services - 87%
Implement Fram-Mode MPLS - 85%
Implement a site-to-site IPSec VPN - 88%
Describe network security strategies - 100%
Implement Cisco Device Hardening - 88%
Implement Cisco IOS firewall - 55%
Describe / configure cisco IOS IPS - 100%

Somehow, that averaged out to a 901. Go figure. I used the Cisco Press ISCW exam cert guide, and the Chris Bryant ISCW Study Guide and Practice Exam.

Some pointers:

-time management was even more of an issue than on the BSCI. Most of my questions involved interpreting configs, so you have to be able to scan a chunk of config and pull out the important details quickly.

-know the SDM inside out as it relates to the IOS Firewall, IPS, and VPN gui's. You'll need it for the sims.

-"own" MPLS. I had a large number of MPLS based questions.

The only surprises were on some of the detail required for PPPoE and PPPoA (ie, where would you put the "encapsulation aal5mux" command), having to match up xDSL versions to their descriptions (whatever), and securing ntp... neither resource touched on it, let alone applying an acl to permit only specific devices from connecting to a router providing ntp services. Interesting stuff.

So, on to ONT to finish this part of the journey. I'm eager to get it done, as we begin a major project in january to replace all our pix firewalls with ASA's, and our content switches with ACE's, and I'd like to get started on the SNAF right after.

Hey, what's the general consensus on ONT material? Anything exceptional beyond the cisco press stuff?
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!

Do you have any plans beyond the CCNP? CCSP?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

For ONT I have been using a lot of Docs and CBT Nuggets because there is only an exam cert guide for this one like the ISCW. I haven't taken the exam yet but will be soon and I'll try to give some info.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Nice work man!
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, right on to the SP. That should fill 2009 (at least).

@networker... did you find that the Nuggets filled in the blanks on things the Cert Guide didn't cover?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikearama wrote:
    Thanks guys.

Yeah, right on to the SP. That should fill 2009 (at least).

@networker... did you find that the Nuggets filled in the blanks on things the Cert Guide didn't cover?

Some what. Like all the CBT Nuggets they are great videos but by no means an end all study method. They seem to compliment the cert guide well, but as always I'm supplementing with plenty reading of the Docs. I like to always have a tab open with the Docs for quick reads during work when I don't have a lot of time to sit and read the book. Its been working out for me so far. Will give you a heads up next week when I take this bad boy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    Congrats mike,

So ONT is all that's left?

I think ONT vs. ISCW all depends on your job exposures. Going through the ONT material was a pain for me because our provider handle all of our QoS at the edge, and I don't deal with VoIP all that much, but reading ISCW cert guide seems to be much easier with my experience with ASA and CBAC.

Because of my lack of QoS/converged experience, I actually went through the CBT nugget for ONT; in addition to the ONT cert guide & ONT portable command guide. I must say the command guide was so awesome I'm thinking about doing abit of MQC as a work project. The CBT videos were alright....I would say they're overpriced and overrated, the instructor has an annoying voice and little lame jokes, but the material is beneficial to bridge the knowledge gaps nonetheless..

good luck.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    I'm in the same boat, sheep... but worse! We don't use qos at all. Our voip roll-out has been pushed back every year, and this year is no different. So ONT is going to be all theory for me, whereas Routing, Switching, and Security/Firewalls/VPN is an everyday experience.

I'm going to need everything I can find to fill in the gaps when it comes to qos. I spent most of the day reading through the ONT material on the Cisco Learning Network... some good intros to stuff like WRED, class-based policies, and general policing.

Guess I'll start with the ciscopress stuff... then blow the bucks and grab the Nuggets. Bryant has been good to me too... might just go over top again with his material.

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man! good score and good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."