Bugging Companies

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
After applying for positions at large companies, do you guys usually bug them? Or I should say, try to bug them? The problem I ran into is finding a phone number to contact them.

I applied for a DSL and a Cable company but I'm not sure if I should try contacting them via their tech support line or asking for a number for their call center? The DSL support position is pretty tough to track down, I know they have a call center someplace in my part of town but I have no idea what the number is or if their wireless cell phone sales portion of their company would know either.

Don't call us, we'll call you - lame icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a recession and I need a job!! icon_twisted.gif

Comments

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    u should have asked the person interviewing you for their contact information...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Talic wrote:
    After applying for positions at large companies, do you guys usually bug them? Or I should say, try to bug them? The problem I ran into is finding a phone number to contact them.

I applied for a DSL and a Cable company but I'm not sure if I should try contacting them via their tech support line or asking for a number for their call center? The DSL support position is pretty tough to track down, I know they have a call center someplace in my part of town but I have no idea what the number is or if their wireless cell phone sales portion of their company would know either.

Don't call us, we'll call you - lame icon_rolleyes.gif

It's a recession and I need a job!! icon_twisted.gif

Patience Talic.. I've been there. What I learned from call centers is that if you are not contacted within a week, you can generally take that as a rejection for a job. Not always, but this rule held true most of the time.

In the meantime, get aggressive.. Change the layout of your resume.. Hit the job boards like 'nobody's business,' and post your resume for critique here. All of this will help.

Also, keep on getting certified. CompTia certifications are generally only good for entry-level or security clearance jobs. You should now get started on getting certified with a major vendor.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    BradleyHU wrote:
    u should have asked the person interviewing you for their contact information...

I haven't went for a interview yet, I just applied and sent in my resume/filled out their application.

I get advice to follow up on applications when you can but do you guys think it's a good idea? Or is it best to just let their application process take it's course?
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't been much of a type to pester people because when I was in management previously it typically annoyed me when people would call to check the status on things. But I submit a resume for a job recently and gave it almost two weeks without hearing anything so I was able to determine who was in charge of hiring for that position and fired off an e-mail which I thought would be good since it's less intrusive than a phone call.

Got a call two days later noting my e-mail and set up the first phone interview, 2nd phone interview is tomorrow.

It can't hurt really, even though it annoyed me a bit when I was a manager, I wouldn't reject people based on that, I still got through all the resumes and if they interested me I called them up. I'd say give them a call or write an e-mail, I doubt you'll do any harm and it might get you in the door for an interview.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You can't wait for one or two places to get back to you. Keep sending out your resume to as many recruiters and job sites as you can find. The shotgun approach is the only way in these times of too few jobs and too many skilled yet unemployed looking for work.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I gotta agree with msteinhilber about it being annoying when people call for a status. I am a manager at a movie theater (no laughing) and it is truly annoying when people drop off an application and then call three days later. One person dropped off the resume and stated "I dropped it off three days ago and no one has called me." I simply explained there were no open position and we will contact those who apply when one does. It's a little easier in the movie theater business because your availability plays a huge roll and if you mark no weekends into the filing bin it goes. I agree with JD as well with the shotgun approach. I've fired off about 10 resumes to people I know or my parents know on top of e-mailing them to various companies. Also, updated my resume on Monster. Gotten three interviews at this point.....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote:
    One person dropped off the resume and stated "I dropped it off three days ago and no one has called me."

Some people just don't have a clue when it comes to trying to secure a job.

I've had plenty of people apply for jobs while I was in management, now granted these were positions that would be mostly sales related with maybe a bit of tech work doing basic spyware/virus removal, backup and reinstalls, some PC builds, etc so you can't always exactly expect the best of the best to be applying...

You wouldn't believe some of the lines I've heard along the same lines of what the_Grinch quoted. I had so many people who would apply, and a day or two later they would call or stop by basically acting as if they were entitled to a job - and not in the confident somewhat good sort of way, but the cocky sort of "I don't understand why you haven't found the time for me" kind of way.

I've had people call and say "I dropped off an application a week ago and I want to know when I am going to get an interview" and all sorts of other tacky and rude lines.

The point is to go ahead and reiterate your interest in the job and hopefully get an interview process rolling or at least show you are willing to exert yourself to try and get a job. If you use the phone call method, try and do some research and know who to ask for. If you can determine the persons e-mail address I tend to prefer this method as I stated it is less intrusive. The other nice thing with e-mail is you can attach your resume and cover letter once again for their convenient review so they don't have to dig through a stack. The other nice thing about e-mail is you can put in a paragraph or two with a recap of why you would be a good addition to the company.